In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1886 45-70

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I found an 1886 45-70 which appears in pretty good shape with the exception of the muzzle. There is thin film rust on the crown and the first 1/2 - 1 inch of the rifling. It does not yet seem to have pitted.

Should I pass on this rifle. Also, how would this affect the accuracy.

I guess I should add that if I acquire this rifle, it will be as a shooter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You need to have a conversation with "BERT" a Moderator on the Ask the Expert Forum....Our resident Winchester Authority...He should be passing this way shortly...Best....
  • cripchascripchas Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI A LONG TIME AGO IT WAS A PRACTICE WHEN THE GUN WAS NOT BEING USED THE OWNER WOULD TAKE A SMAL RAG AND PUT SOME OIL ON IT AND INSERT IT IN THE END OF THE MUZZLE THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD PROTECT THE BORE BUT WHAT HAPENED IS WHAT YOU DESCRIBE IF IT DOES NOT LOOK BAD ITS SHOULD BE OK ..... CHARLIE
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way to tell is to clean it first and inspect the rifleing. If there is strong rifleing to the end of the muzzle and not severely pitted it should shoot OK. Of course everything depends on the selling price. 86's on the market right now are weak and it is a buyers market.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without the benefit of inspecting and shooting the rifle after a light clean-up, there is no way to answer your questions. Of course the condition of the rest of the rifle is important, as is the asking price.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opinions are just that... opinions. The only way to find out about accuracy is to shoot the gun. A bigger concern than a "thin coating of rust" would be worn rifling just inside the muzzle. Unfortunately, that is not uncommon due to cleaning rod wear. Worn rifling at the muzzle can often cause to keyholing. If it isn't possible to test fire the gun, try inserting a bullet into the bore. If the bullet will go in any distance at all base first, pass on the gun.