In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

break leaver on double

saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
guys,
If a break leaver on a double is off center to the right, what does that mean for the gun. I've always heard it is a main thing to look for when buying a double, but what is actually wrong? Is it just a waek spring? If it's off just a bit is it a problem? How much is too much? Can someone enlighten me?

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Slightly right of center usually means it hasnt been opened and closed much and there is little wear. Left of center means well used.
  • saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So off to the right a bit is actually a good thing? And left is not so good. If it is left, does that mean the gun is worn out, or just needs some adjustment?
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by saserby
    So off to the right a bit is actually a good thing? And left is not so good. If it is left, does that mean the gun is worn out, or just needs some adjustment?
    Yes right is a good thing. If its far left it could mean worn out if the barrels wabble and don't close up tight. On some guns its worth it to have them fixed, on others they become wall hangers.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Lockup will always be 'tight' to the end of service life. The lever will return as far as it can each time you close the shotgun, however a minute amount of 'wear' occurs, driving the lever further and further to the left during it's normal useage lifespan.

Compare it to a car's odometer..where the mileage is depicted by the position of the lever. Best as I could describe it. Joe
  • saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That works. Thanks guys.