In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.17 HMR vs. 22 MAG

gsi09907gsi09907 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Ok people, give me your thoughts and why. I will probably never hunt and if so OK never, target plinking and distance shots. I want a fun rifle that is accurate and not a waste of money. Also give me advice on which rifle between a Mossberg, Marlin or Savange?

thanks everyone

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Savage 93 in some variant - I have a 93FV in wmr, 1" at 100 yards wtih CCI ammo....

17 vs 22 - 22wmr is a little cheaper it seems ... if you live and/or shoot in areas that tend to get windy, the 22wmr will handle the wind better at longer distances.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    I always thought the 17 HMR was a solution looking for a problem.

If gun makers don't have new calibers, they don't sell as many guns.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to buy into the "heavier bullet, less wind drift" story but I have changed my mind. True, the lighter bullet has less inertia but it is also a lot faster and thus spends less time exposed to the wind.
  • liljakeliljake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a gun in each caliber. I am very partial to my marlin 883 bolt in 22 mag. My .17 cal is a savage., it sees a lot more storage time than my 22 mag. Mostly due in part to the way it shoots. Maybe it's just the difference in makes but my marlin 22 is as reliable and accurate as anything can get. Plus shooting a heavier bullet ( 30 gr CCI maxi mag) in my opinion is less seceptable to wind drift.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wasn't one of your choices, but I say for plinking and target shooting "not wasting money" start with a match grade .22LR if you don't already have one.

At sub-50 yard plinking distances, the .22LR should be at least as accurate as either of the above, and decent-quality match .22LR ammo is still cheaper than ordinary .22 mag or .17HMR ammo.

If you're willing to "settle" for ordinary .22LR (instead of match quality), its a *LOT* cheaper than either of the two magnum rimfires.

If I had to pick either the .17HMR or the .22mag, personally I'd go for the .22 mag. The .22 has more power, is more wind-resistant, and the ammo is a little cheaper.

Because of its high velocity and flat trajectory, the .17 has a bit of an advantage in shooting out past 100+ yards. So if you really need to reach out far, get that one.

Edit: Also .17hmr is probably more intrinsically accurate than .22wmr, so if you need absolute maximum accuracy, try the .17.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because killing power is not an issue if you will not be hunting, then I would suggest the .17 HMR to you. It may tend to be more accurate than the .22 mag, and its trajectory is flatter.

You may wish to at least consider the .17 Mach2. The cost of the ammo is about one half the price of .17 HMR, but it shoots much flatter than .22 Long Rifle, and would likely tend to be more accurate than a .22, but not as inexpensive to shoot.

As far as your choice of rifles, a friend has a heavy barrel Marlin in .17 HMR and loves it. Other friends have the Savage in .17 HMR and love it. I do not know about the Mossberg. I shoot a CZ in .17 HMR and love it.
  • rusobr2rusobr2 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)][:)]i picked up my ruger 96/22 mag about 10 months ago,and there is not a gun in my safe that gets more use.a close friend of mine has a 17 hmr sav.,and he talks smack about my 96 at times,but at 3:00 pm in central or. the wind is always going to blow. i put in some cci in 36 gr,and let the fun began-shooting clays at 175 yrds. i will hit 2 to 1 compared to the 17.he always tells me the 17 is faster,and will out do the wind,i say buckbababooey,and the knockdown of the 22 mag is terrific. at 175yds i shoot just a hair up and hit center w/36 gr, and w/wwb 40 gr 1 shoot 1" above center- his 17 is almost deadon at these dist..but don't let the wind blow.not a good gun for kansas,ujust my 2 cents,steven
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 22WMR's...a Anshutz Woodchucker, and a Ruger 77/22M Varmint. The Ruger has been worked over(pillar bedded, lapped barrel, shimmed bolt, and trigger job to break at 12 ounces). On a Calm day at 100 yards the Ruger will put 3 Winchester 34 grain Supreme's in a group the size of a pencil eraser. The woodchucker is not far behind.

I also have a CZ 453 Varmint in 17HMR. I shoot eh Hornady 20 grain bullets for better wind resistance. It is an MOA or better gun...usually around 1/2 MOA, at 100 yards. I have taken fox, and woodchucks with it out to 150 yards with no problem, but have not tried it past there.

Of the rifles you suggested, I would go with the Savage 93 Varmint model, in either chambering.

Best
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both calibers and have used both to hunt prairie dogs. On my next trip I will only take my Marlin 17VS. It is a mighty fine rim fire choice for that purpose. And priced in the very reasonable range and accurate. If the wind is blowing adjust a bit for the windage. The Hornady ballistic tip has enough of what is needed for PD shooting at 100 - 150 yds, therefore paper targets shouldn't be a problem.
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote savage 17HMR. Love that one I had that fell of the boat in a deep lake. 17 grain bullets exploded sage rats @ 100 to 150 yards.