In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pistol with no reg

wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
my brother got a pistol on a trade 10 to 15 years ago last week he loaned it to me neither my brother or myself really paid any attention to the pistol it was a chepo we shot some holes in a fire barell just to see if it would shoot i was showing it to a gun dealer other day he asked a strange question i thought he asked where i got the gun n was i afraid to tell who i got it frrom then he showed me the deal the serial # had been took off the gun whats the concequence of me getting caught with this gun i live in wv

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big trouble, it's a federal rap. If you don't play your cards right you might wind up in the gray bar hotel, with sugar bugger bubba as your roomie.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is not the place to say "you have a gun with no serial number">
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wvduece
    my brother got a pistol on a trade 10 to 15 years ago last week he loaned it to me neither my brother or myself really paid any attention to the pistol it was a chepo we shot some holes in a fire barell just to see if it would shoot i was showing it to a gun dealer other day he asked a strange question i thought he asked where i got the gun n was i afraid to tell who i got it frrom then he showed me the deal the serial # had been took off the gun whats the concequence of me getting caught with this gun i live in wv

There are keys on your key board that allow for punctuation; little things like periods and commas make understanding what you write possible!

It sounds like you are telling us that the gun has had it's serial number removed and this is a felony.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only reason I can imagine someone would remove the serial number is.

Its stolen

You dont have to be the person who removed the number, simple possession of that gun is a crime. I would suggest you find a very deep lake and chuck it.

Periods................ comas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its already gone
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    its already gone
    It cant be gone already, because your first question was a fictinal writing, and the gun never existed in the first place.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize
    its already gone
    It cant be gone already, because your first question was a fictinal writing, and the gun never existed in the first place.

I agree. Nobody would be stupid enough to face a $250,000 fine and 10 years in a federal pen by publicly posting that they have a handgun with a defaced or obliterated serial number. Nobody.

Do not adjust your monitor. This is only a test.
    indianhead640x480.gif
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a few possible reasons why the serial number of a gun could be obliterated:

a. Its stolen.
    b. It was used in a crime,
    c. It was INTENDED to be used in a crime. (IE its a throwaway gun).

Obliterating the serial number of a gun is a Federal crime.
    Possession of a gun with an obliterated serial number is a crime.

But just having a gun without a serial number may not be. Guns were not required to have a serial number prior to the 68 gun control law.

In some cases legitimate rebuilds of guns can destroy the serial number, and this was historically true of a number of military Colt 1911 pistols.

Also, in some cases what looks like an obliterated serial number can actually be restored, and in such cases, its perfectly legal to do so. For example, some guns have the same serial number engraved on multiple parts. If you can identify the number, it may be able to be restored. In some cases, special techniques can be used to help visualize numbers that appear to have been removed.

If this is a cheapo gun, the best thing to do is probably destroy the frame entirely. (If it has salvagable parts, they might have some value).
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    He said that the serial number had been "took off" (do people actually talk like that?) and now it appears that the entire gun has "took off too" [8D].

Hint: Try using the word removed in place of "took off" and you'll probably land a better job!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes Mark, people actually talk like that in WV where he is from [:0]