In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gunroom

Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a rather large room I store all my firearms in. The walls are all insulated and reinforced walls (obviously) with a vault door. Room is climate controlled, but it is in my basement.

My question is just to err on the side of caution, should I run a dehumidifyer? I haven't seen signs of high humidity, but it is a basement, and we get a ton of rain here.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I would put a humidity gauge down there and run it when necessarry. In the winter when your furnace runs alot you shouldnt need to use a dehumidfier.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    I would put a humidity gauge down there and run it when necessarry. In the winter when your furnace runs alot you shouldnt need to use a dehumidfier.
    Thanks Cartod. I have radiant heat (tube and fin) that I ran to the baseboards in the basement, and I have a separate air conditioner for that room alone. A guage would certainly put my mind at ease when home, but I travel a lot and nobody goes int here when I am gone.
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the dehumidifier in my vault adjusted so that it maintains the humidity level that I want. If the humidity is above that point the dehumidifier runs; if below that point, it does not run.

Works for me.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An AC is a dehumidifier. That's why you have all the water that drains out of it.

As advised, I would put in a humidy guage and monitor it.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Long periods away means you need to set up the dehumidifier so that it drains automatically out of the pan. Base board heaters tend to dry the air (and your skin) pretty efficiently. I would guess you keep the heat on when you are gone? Sounds like for peace of mind, you need a dehumdifier hooked up to come on when you need it and that does not require someone emptying it.
  • Tom Lee ATom Lee A Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google Onset Computer and check out their monitors and sensors. We have used them in our HVAC and are vert satisfied with them.