In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1892 Winchester

AUSTOUSAAUSTOUSA Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible that Winchester made the 1892 in stainless steel? If so how many were made in which model and caliber? Thanks for the info.

Comments

• AUSTOUSAAUSTOUSA Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK now about the stainless steel 1892 Winchester rifle. The one in question has a threaded muzzle in 9/16 thread. It is threaded for a Maxim silencer. It may be a replacement barrel as it has a stamping on top with a P inside a circle. Another oval has an upside down T with a W over it. What do you know about this particular weapon? There are winchester stampings on the barrel. It is marked stainless steel on the barrel. There are black spots, like pitting on the barrel. It is in 32 WCF. The barrel length is proper for the rifle. What can you tell me??
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased an 1892 Winchester SRC that has no visable serial number. There is no evidence that the number was removed. The caliber is 25-20. The barrel is 20" and the magazine is 10"
    Can anyone tell me what I have and the approximate value.
    Thanks Joe in Texas
    edited November -1
    I have an 1892 winchester 44-40. It has a 20 inch barrel and the button or short magazine. My question is why was the short magazine made and is it common. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a 1892 round barrel 25 20. At some time in it's life it had sling installed. It has one of those heavy duty drill in ones with the screw threads and would make a really ugly repair to fill it in. It has the bottom sling but the top is gone. I would guess they had some king of magazine mount for the front one. Any of you guys know what it might have had and maybe I can find one.
    edited November -1
    Can someone confirm 581990 was made in 1910. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I just recieved a 1892 winchester and was wondering when it was made
    the serial # is 643*** does anyone know when it was made.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 1892 carbine in 38-40 cal. The serial No. indicates that it was made in 1894. Since I figure that this was a black powder era would this gun be safe to shoot with modern ammo.? The rifle seems to be in pretty good shape. I know it should be checked by a smith ect. I guess my question is would it be safe to shoot it with modern ammo if it passed that test.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel you are describing was a mail order replacement barrel. The "(P)" is what defines it as such. The fact that it is a mail order barrel tells us that it was not factory threaded for a Maxim silencer. Additionally, Winchester barrels that were threaded for a Maxim silencer were made with interupted threads.

The upside down T with a W over it is actually a superposed "W" over a "P" and is Winchester's definitive proof marking (Winchester Proof").

The black spots on the barrel are most likely flecks of teh original black enamel paint versus pitts.

If you look on the bottom of the barrel very near to where it screws into the receiver frame, there should be a 2-digit number. That number indicates the year the barrel was manufactured.

You indiacte that it is a Model "1892", and if that is the case, Winchester ceased marking them "1892" in April of 1919. The barrel could not have been made any sooner than 1926.