In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mil Surp Buckshot?

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Other than the green shell, is this stuff any different?
Is it low recoil?

Comments

• WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whisch one is it?

There are a bunch.

WG
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    Other than the green shell, is this stuff any different?
    Is it low recoil?

NOT low recoil. (Shotgun toting US soldiers aren't known for being recoil-shy! [;)])

1325 fps is normal buckshot velocity, and should deliver normal (ie painful [}:)]) recoil. Wussy low recoil buckshot should give you about 1125 fps.

I suspect that except for the "Camo" OD color with black base (which I admit, is kind of cool) this is probably the same as the other ordinary Winchester buckshot.

EG See here:
    http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=XB1200&bn=1&use=4

Edit: Obviously, I was just joking about "low recoil" buckshot being "wussy". Nine .33 caliber lead balls at 1100+ fps. . .I sure as heck don't want to get hit by that! Also, if you tell me I have to fire more than a few of these in a row, I think I'll be picking the "low recoil" loads, thanks.

In general, you can probably assume that GI milspec ANYTHING isn't going to be "low recoil" until proven otherwise. As alluded to below, the US military has been issuing standard buckshot for a pretty long time, I think close to 100 years. That's long before any of the manufacturers started offering a reduced performance (ie low recoil) version.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's actual USGI ammunition it will have primer sealant and milspec sealant of some sort on the case mouth.

I've never seen this green cased type, maybe newer stuff than I'm used to. USGI shotgun ammo in my day came in boxes of 10, was standard Winchester-Olin red cased and had red primer sealant. It was plain-jane unplated 9 pellet OO-buck.
  • shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in an Academy Sporting Goods store about 3 months ago and I saw these at about 4.50 a box. I asked the guy about them and he said his rep told him they were literally ran off the same loading line as the stuff that went to the military. True or not that is what he said. I can say that to me it is not a light load. I went back a month ago to get more and the guy said it was a fill in order and they would not be getting any more. I have seen it since for as much as $10 a box.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cabela's sells them. Just picked up a few boxes but have not used them yet.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does not appear to be any different that most other 9 pellet oo buck loads other than color.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely BTS is right on the olin mil surp you are looking at.

Low recoil buck isnt wussy, it is more practical in some cases. Less penetration, slightly tighter patterns.