In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serial numbers

ShannonShannon Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have noticed in some of the auctions part of the serial numbers are purposely covered or partially so. What is the reason for this? Thanks for the information and education.

God Bless The U.S.

Comments

• ShannonShannon Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have noticed knowledgable gun sellers in many cases indicate the year a gun was made based on the serial number. Is there an easy way to get this information for the novice. I have several guns that I would like to obtain this info........Thanks in advance
    Terry
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 54 that is stamped 30GOVT'06 serial number 23060A. I was wondering if anybody can tell my anything on the history of this rifle. I thank everybody for their time with this.
    edited November -1
    I had several guns that were to be stored by a relative. Seems they were stored at the local pawn shop. I don't have the list of serial numbers since I gave them to the relative for safe keeping. I know when,where and cost of them. Is there any way to track them?
    edited November -1
    Do all guns the same model have the same exact serial number or does each one have a unique number?
    edited November -1
    Would someone please enlighten me as to the reason (Some)people will not list the complete S/N when listing a gun for sale.The only reason I can think of is they are afraid it might be a Stolen Gun. Ron
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a Double barrel shotgun made in belguim I believe in the 1880's by A. Greener. I am wondering if anyone knows when the Greener company started putting serial numbers on their guns. The only things on this one are A. Greener, Belgium. Lamanated Steel and the number 34. Also what does the number 34 stand for?

Caz1259
    edited November -1
    if you ran a serial number and it came back as "no history" does that just mean its never been reported stolen or in a crime? it was run through the massachusettes state police, also is a high standard .357 magnum a decent target shooting gun? last but not least, where the hell can you find a holster for it? i mean is this revolver like a smith in size, can it fit into those holsters?
    edited November -1
    Dumb question that I, a self acknowleged expert, should know what the answer is. But I don't.
    When describing a firearm, the writer often includes a partial serial number on the order of 1234xxxx. Just what, in the way of theft or other misconduct via miscreant , does that prevent????
    It would seem unlikely to me that a full serial number would be of any use by the criminal boneheads of the world.
    Stan
    edited November -1
    If a winchester had the last four numbers scratched off, but the first two are not, and the number sequence shows its manufacture date is 1898, is it still in violation, or since its an antique, the missing numbers are all right with the law enforcement? Is there anywhere to find a secondary serial number?
    edited November -1
    is there a site that shows mfgr dates for winchester rifles?
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has some old guns; a springfield 94a 16 ga. single shot and a remington 552 22 cal. We can not find serial numbers on these guns. Where are they suppose to be located? Thanks, john
    edited November -1
    Anybody out there know the site to check up on serial numbers to prove/disprove a stolen gun? Have a suspicious toy would like to check out. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been questioned in the past, but I lost the site I had used in the past...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
    edited November -1
    We are new to this site and wondered if you can tell us about the serial numbers. Most are listed as numbers and x's (as in 645xx). Could someone please explain??

Thank you[:o)]
    edited November -1
    Why are serial numbers always not fully disclosed? For example 1234XX.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster
    edited November -1
    I decided it was time to get a list of all my serial numbers. I did not find numbers on two of my guns. One is a Remington 514, .22 bolt action, the other is a Remington 572 .22 pump. Am I not looking in the right place, or do they not have serial numbers? Thanks!
    edited November -1
    I hava a Glock model 19 with the serial number 0000. I was just wondering if this affects the value of the gun?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,057 ******
    edited November -1
    Some people call this paranoia, but let's suppose that a feller had a gun, and had it stolen. He never recorded the serial number, so the serial number isn't in the report, and the gun isn't entered into NCIC.

One day, he finds a gun like his online. It has the rust in the right places and the right scuffs on the stock. And, the serial number is visible. Now, the feller thinks this is his, or wants to think it's his, and he claims it is. He re-contacts the police, gives them the serial number, and tells them where the gun can be found.

The feller may be doing this earnestly and sincerely, or he may be a thief at heart, using the system to his advantage. This is just one scenario, but with a little imagination, you can come up with others.

Sometimes, I cover the serial numbers on guns I sell here, but that is because of a contractural agreement with the people from whom I bought the guns. If I want to be able to continue to buy, I can't publish the serial number.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's suppose some * claims you have his gun and files a police report, creates trouble for everyone, and swears it's his.
    Never mind he had no serial number of the gun stolen last year.

Now you produce a bill of sale that you bought it at Joe Blows ten years ago or produce statements you've had the gun forty forevers. If you bought it from an FFL, he has records going back 20 years.
    It is paranoia. No one hides VIN's in cars for sale do they?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that it is total paranoia. I can not see any valid reason(s) for not posting the complete serial number on any "collectable" firearm that is being sold and that can be researched. All and I mean all of the reputable firearms auction houses list the serial numbers for the guns they are selling.

Crooks, thieves, and genuinely dishonest people do not bring attention to themselves by trying to claim that a firearm was stolen from them and then try to illegitimately recover it. In my opinion, posting the serial number with the auction listing should be mandatory for a number of good reasons...

(1) If the firearms is stolen, it can be tracked down and returned to its rightful owner.

(2) For many makes and models, it is possible to have the individual piece researched or lettered to verify its authenticity, thereby revealing & preventing fraudualent or false information about the gun.

(3) It prevents the old "Bait & Switch" ruse (another form of fraud).

As P3 pointed out, a vehicle VIN must be disclosed during a sale, so why not a firearm's serial number?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,057 ******
    edited November -1
    Sometimes, I cover the serial numbers on guns I sell here, but that is because of a contractural agreement with the people from whom I bought the guns. If I want to be able to continue to buy, I can't publish the serial number.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    It's unfounded paranoia. I've never heard of anyone successfully obtaining a gun by falsely claiming it was for sale online. It would be just as easy to write down serial numbers at a gun show but dealers don't tape over the numbers there, do they?
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:a vehicle VIN must be disclosed during a sale, so why not a firearm's serial number?

you hit the nail squarely on it's head, key word(s) "during a sale" but not plastered across the windshield in the advertising phase, when an actual buyer makes his intent to buy, that is when the S/N is disclosed, using the "vehicle VIN" scenario, how often do you see that VIN displayed in advertising ??
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    quote:a vehicle VIN must be disclosed during a sale, so why not a firearm's serial number?

you hit the nail squarely on it's head, key word(s) "during a sale" but not plastered across the windshield in the advertising phase, when an actual buyer makes his intent to buy, that is when the S/N is disclosed, using the "vehicle VIN" scenario, how often do you see that VIN displayed in advertising ??

Go look at E Barf Motors listings. VIN's in every listing. Even Nigerians know about E Barf. The Mexicans too.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn makes a valid point. When you take guns on consignment to sell for paranoids you may have to do paranoid things.

The late filing of a serial number with a stolen report is an interesting theory but I have never been able to get anyone to come forward with a factual account where that occurred.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking at it from the other direction, why would a potential buyer need to know the exact serial number in order to make a buy or no buy decision?
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    Looking at it from the other direction, why would a potential buyer need to know the exact serial number in order to make a buy or no buy decision?

On several collector arms (such as Colt, Sharps, US Martial arms) you can check/confirm the guns configuration or where it was originally shipped/issued.

John
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful

Glabray... Did you not read what I wrote about being able to research the gun? Many Winchesters (as well as several other makers) can be researched based on the given serial number. If you saw a Model 1894 Fancy Sporting Rifle with a 22-inch barrel in a Gunbroker auction, would you not want to have it checked before plunking down a few thousand $$$$ for it[?]... I know that I would avail myself of that option.