In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

no serial number

GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
This is a purely hypothetical question to piggyback on WVDuece's question. If you happen to find yourself in possesion of a pistol like that, could you take it into the BATFE, explain the circumstances of obtaining the gun, give a sworn and written statement, give the gun to them and call it a day or would you be screwed. Like I said this is purely hypothetical (my curiousity is getting the better of me) but wouldn't the feds rather have it turned in and destroyed than take the chance of someone finding it and using it.

Comments

• GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Fox/Savage model B 410 sxs 20 years ago. Single trigger, vent rib, case hardened receiver, elaborate flying ducks and cattails engraved on the under side of receiver, the "FOX" spelled out in scroll work on either side of the receiver. The only number on the gun anywhere is a 710 in a small oval on the underside adjacent to the ducks. On the barrels is "Patent Applied For".

Anybody know why there is no serial number?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2?, better to let sleeping dogs lie. What they don't know, won't get you on their s**t list/trouble. Cut it up into small pieces with a hack saw, and throw them into the garbage.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not uncommon for folks to wind up in possession of prohibited items. All you do is phone the local ATF office, explain the situation to them, & they will arrange surrender of the item to them. That's all there is to it.

The LAST thing you should do is walk unannounced into your local PD or ATF office with an illegal gun in a paper bag. Bad mojo.

Neal
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    In some states (I beleive that Texas will do it) you can make arrangements with the PD's forensics lab and for a fee they will try to recover the serial number. If they manage to do it then they issue some paperwork which lists the serial number as they see it and which also shows that you have not obliterated the number. If they fail then the gun is a goner.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    US Code, 18.922

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

NMeyers nailed it- contact the BATFE. Have known of ONE case where a thief ground off a SN, it was recovered, and BATFE allowed it be be restamped with original SN. Ordinarily they are to be destroyed. Could maybe make a case for remarking when SN of a collectible had WORN away- but call for BATFE.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strip the frame of all parts. The parts are not illegal to own then with the bare frame contact BATF take to them if they give you new serial number great if they take the GUN/FRAME you still have the legal parts you can sell.
  • GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all, if this were to occur or anything similar I know not to walk in unannounced but my curiousity was getting to me that if you were trying to be a stand up person they would screw you or not. I also understand the views for cutting it up and making it unshootable.

Thanks again for entertaining my curiousity.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe is right. Even easier, how about deep water - or the ole post hole digger?

edit Another dog and pony story from ca. 2000. This took me back down memory lane. An estate had a "sanitized" .45 auto, probably one stolen in the 1930s from the National Guard. I knew of several of them selling back then for $5. This piece had been in the decedent's possession since the '30s. Gun shops wouldn't/couldn't touch it. Local police opinion it wasn't illegal to own. A buyer paid $150 for it.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why worry about it, if you keep the gun and never try to sell it. Has anyone ever had someone check to see if your gun had a serial #.

Peddler
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    Why worry about it, if you keep the gun and never try to sell it. Has anyone ever had someone check to see if your gun had a serial #.

Peddler

What happens when your in bed and someone is in your house and you shoot them with that gun????????
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PEZHEAD265
    quote:Originally posted by peddler

Peddler

What happens when your in bed and someone is in your house and you get up and you shoot them with that gun????????