In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 1873

boomacboomac Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering the purchase of a Winchester Model 1873 and have a couple questions. On the top of the barrel the marking is .32 Cal. I've seen .32 WCF but not .32 Cal. I'm fairly certain that .32 WCF is 32-20 but would like to confirm the .32 Cal. Could it be 32-40? If so, how would that caliber effect the value of the rifle? Thanks,

Comments

• boomacboomac Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone recommend a cartridge for a Winchester model 1873 .32 cal. Mfg. in 1888
    edited November -1
    Has this gun been re-finished and if so how can you tell.
    thanks
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153810642
    edited November -1
    I have a 1st model 1873 44WCF. It rates an honest 75%.It was a presentation to an individual. It has a 20 inch half round, half octagon barrel. The receiver is silver or nickel. It is inscribed on the dust cover"Presented to XXX by Initials. The engraving is easily readable but the script is such as to make deciphering it very hard for me. The only draw back is the butt plate is missing. The silver is excellant with only a couple of small defects.ser # is 27XXX anybody got any ideas how to find out where this piece came from and where and who it went to and the approx. value? Thanks, trapper
    edited November -1
    Question of value of a Model 1873 32 cal, octagon 24" barrel, Ser# 313366R.
    When was Manuf?
    Condition above average, 50% or better.
    Ball Park value.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a 32-20, if it's a 73. The 32-40 was a much longer cartridge that was chambered in the long action levers such as the 94.
    edited November -1
    Thanks! It looks like Winchester only made the 73 in 44-40, 38-40 and 32-20 so the 32-40 hang tag on this one is incorrect.

What or how much influence does the caliber have on value; all else being equal?
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add 22 rimfire to your caliber list. They tend to be pricey in good condition due to the small number manufactured. For the other calibers, the 44wcf averages the highest cost although it was made in the largest numbers. The Hollywood factor I guess. The 32wcf averages the lowest cost. Conditionwise, you can often find 32wcf guns in pretty good condition for a decent price. The 44wcfs often lived a pretty hard life.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello boomac,

The caliber marking on that rifle indicates that it is a very early production .32 caliber.

The Model 1873 was only made in one .32 caliber cartridge... the 32 W.C.F., which is also known as the 32-20.

As rufe-snow pointed out, the 32-40 is a much larger (longer) cartidge. Winchester chambered the Model 1885 Single Shot Rifle, and the Model 1894 Lever-action in 32-40, and they were always maked "32-40".

In the Model 1873, the 32 W.C.F. cartridge chambering is the least desirable, therefore it is the cheapest to obtain.
    edited November -1
    Burt - the words "least desirable" and "cheapest to obtain" concern me. Is that just another way of saying the other calibers are more desirable and therefore a bit more pricy?[:D] What do figure the premium is for a 38-40 or a 44-40? 10% or greater?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by boomac
    Burt - the words "least desirable" and "cheapest to obtain" concern me. Is that just another way of saying the other calibers are more desirable and therefore a bit more pricy?[:D] What do figure the premium is for a 38-40 or a 44-40? 10% or greater?

Yes, it is another way of saying that the other calibers are more desirable. The premium for an identical condition & configuration 44 WCF versus a 32 WCF is much greater than 10%... more like 50%. What I was attempting to relate to you, is do not pay a premium price for the rifle you are looking at. Most Model 1873s out there in 32 WCF are well under the $2K value mark.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Burt. That's a significant difference and after thinking about it, a 44-40 would better suit my purpose. Unless they make me an offer I can't refuse I'll continue stashing the rat-hole money until I come across an example in a more preferred caliber!