In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Some Help On a Model 12

sx1skeetsx1skeet Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Well this is a new to me model 12 that I just picked up for the wood. Thinking that it was just a Simmons ribbed gun. But more I look at it I think the gun went to them in the white for a rid and deluxe wood. As it shows no signs of being buffed any were. All letters are sharp and the ser # is still deep. So I guess my ? is what do you guy think and what would you value it at. Please let me know if you need any better pics. The rib says Simmions Gun Specialtes Patented and is a round post.
Thanks Again
Matt

[img][/img]DSC_0002-1.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0005-1.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0008-1.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0013.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0016.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0020.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0022.jpg
[img][/img]DSC_0023.jpg

Comments

• sx1skeetsx1skeet Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure were you came up with the barrel being cut as it is 30" to front of the bolt and still is full choke. The pad is an origanl red Winchester pad.
    Thanks For your help
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to cut on your gun, I bought one with a release and a pull trigger a couple of months ago that looked better than yours for $650.
    edited November -1
    You are not cutting on my gun. I don't really care as I have very little in it as it was out of time when I got it. What I'm really tring to find out is this a Simmions Marketed gun. One that was sent to them in the white and they put there rib on and sold it. I know that this has been dicused with model 42. But does the same applie to Model 12's.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SWEET I think you bought a sleeper.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert will correct me if I screw this up, but I'm sure Winchester had Simmons put ribs on some of their 12s, the wood looks just like my 12 Trap Grade.
    for what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Here is my best guess: someone sent back a standard grade gun to Winchester to upgrade the wood and put a rib on it for trap shooting. The wood looks factory and Winchester did use simmons ribs. Since there is no offset proof mark on the barrel this means that the rib was installed after the fact, over top of the proof mark.
    Also, If it came from the factory like its current configuration it would have had "MODEL-12-TRAP" stamped under the magazine tube. And its not a pigeon grade or it would have had a pigeon and a jeweled bolt. My .02 cents.

One other thing I just noticed, a factory gun in this configuration would have had the top of the reciever bead blasted to prevent glare.

Offset proofs.

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. As for the top of the reciver it was bead blasted just like it was to be all but the very front of the top of the recive. I know that with no proff marks that this was all done at Simmions. But what I'm getting at is in the late 50's Simmions was making up guns and selling them a long with factory winchesters. As I remeber they were like $10 or $15 less the the factory gun. They came from winchester in the white and Simmions put the rib on and the wood. As for the trap marking on the bottom of the reciver I think that went out in the late 40's as trap was a grade not a model just like skeet and delux. Now I could be all wet but as I remeber this is how it was.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sx1skeet
    Thanks for the info. As for the top of the reciver it was bead blasted just like it was to be all but the very front of the top of the recive. I know that with no proff marks that this was all done at Simmions. But what I'm getting at is in the late 50's Simmions was making up guns and selling them a long with factory winchesters. As I remeber they were like $10 or $15 less the the factory gun. They came from winchester in the white and Simmions put the rib on and the wood. As for the trap marking on the bottom of the reciver I think that went out in the late 40's as trap was a grade not a model just like skeet and delux. Now I could be all wet but as I remeber this is how it was.
    You are not all wet and this gun could have been sent out to simmons directly from the factory, the question is did Winchester offset the proofs on guns shipped to simmons (my geuss would be no)? Either way, I dont think that will effect the value much. The fact that it has a vent rib and that XX fancy wood makes it desirable. I was not aware they stopped putting the grade on the bottom in the late 40's...the gun in the photo is a '48 gun.

Unfortunaltly as Im sure you are aware, there are not many records on the model 12. Did simmons keep any records?

Oh, and they did not bead blast the very fron of the reciever, so that is correct also on the gun. I would say that your argument is correct and this gun was probably born a "simmons" factory gun. I will read up a little tonight and see if I can see anything else that would point in that direction.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is pretty much identical to yours but it is a 1927 gun.