In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help with S&W Revolver

neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently picked up a Smith 24-3 revolver that I haven't been able to find anything about it. It appears unfired with a very faint turn line and it is gold-filled engraved and is in a wooden display box that says "Combat Special - First One Hundred". I've looked at past auctions and in the blue book and can't find anything about a "First 100". I am a lot more into long arms instead of handguns and know little about Smiths. Don't figure it is anything special, but surely it is worth the $325 I gave. Any info would be appreciated. I will try to post pictures later this pm. Help anyone?

Comments

• rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If nothing turns up here, check the S&W forum.

As far as value goes, you did well if you paid $325.
  • laytonj1laytonj1 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W reintroduced the model 24 in 1983 as the 24-3 with 4" thru 6.5" barrels. The first 100 were factory engraved with smooth walnut grips and silver S&W medalions. Of them, 25 were nickel plated.
    The Combat Variation (3" barrel) was a limited edition of 5000 guns thru Lew Horton distributing and IIRC, the first 100 of those were also labeled as "First 100". I've seen those go for about $900 in "New in Box" condition.

Jim
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    If nothing turns up here, check the S&W forum.

As far as value goes, you did well if you paid $325.

+1 excellent site. smith-wessonforum.com