In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

selling someone elses guns????

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
a friend/aquaintance asked me to help him sell some of his guns. He's out of work etc....
I am not an FFL.
the payments will be direct to him from the buyer and he will arrange shipment himself. He just wants me to help by listing the guns on my GB account.
Is that OK to do? I don't want to break any GB rules or any laws.[:0]
thanks
tom
btw, i know the easy answer is to have him get a GB account, but he doesn't even own a computer and i don't want another (his) account tied to my puter.[;)]

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Yes it is ok to do as long as the guns go through an FFL dealer. I've sold 2 for a friend with no problems.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    I've done this for friends who needed to sell guns but did not want to set up a GB account, had no computer, or who simply has no clue as to how to sell a gun. I just listed the guns on my own account and when they sold I had the buyers send the funds and FFL directly to the seller, who then paid me back for the auction fees, plus a nice lunch..I'm realy big on having nice lunches (for free). I advise you to have the guns there with you so that you can answer any questions about the guns right away, instead of calling on the phone and asking your buddy the question and then tying to get the info back to the potential bidder.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done it a couple of times to help friends settle estates. I think it works best if you just use your name on everything & have the money sent to you. Everything involved in listing & selling guns is, technically, a legal contract; a lot of folks will back off if things look unusual. GB gives the buyer your name & address, but you want him to send the money to someone else? Doesn't sound right.

You need to have the guns in your possession when listing, both to verify the true condition, & to take additional photos if requested. And, it's your feedback that suffers if your friend doesn't ship quickly & pack the guns correctly.

Neal
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just remember if he messes up it will reflect your account
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    Sure, it's no different than placing an ad for someone. I sold 16 guns on Gunbroker for a friend 700 miles away. You just need to be sure your friend is reliable and honest because anything they do will be reflected in your feedback. They also need to understand they can't change their mind about selling them once a bid has been placed (assuming no reserve or reserve has been met) as you are legally obligated to follow through on your contract.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Your name.
    Your reputation.
    You complete the auction.
    You get paid.

..the rest is private between you and your friend. Gunbroker and the buyer need not know the minutae.

Oh, yes, one more tidbit..have the gun in your posession, and do the shipping yourself. Remember: Gunbroker computer will auto-generate a message to the winner with your pedigree listed. Best to not confuse the issue with multiple addresses, etc. Good luck! Joe
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done it also...GOOD advise from above,,,It really works out if said item is in your hands for the stated reasons from the other members...imo.nambu
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What have you got Tom we want to know[:D]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:What have you got Tom we want to know

he's got a little of everything, even 50bmg, but he's not sure what he's willing to part with yet.
    thanks all for the advice! i hadn't thought of having the guns in my possesion for pics etc. i was just going to photo everything at his place (I forgot my own rule about buying online; alsways ask for more pics, just to see if the seller actually has the gun).
    he'll be using the ffl i deal with so i'll know when they get shipped.
    this guy is a good egg, just ran into some tough times.
    hell, it could be me tomorrow.....
  • the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've sold a number of guns for friends and have had NO problems. Just remember, it's YOUR reputation on the line, not your friends. I do everything, just like it was my gun and THEN settle up with the owner. He gets involved in nothing during the auction. I have the item in hand, do the photos, answer the questions, arrange the shipping, etc. I give my friend the auction price, verified by copies of the auction pages, less my agreed upon percentage (which is usually way less than it should be) [:)], and any FFL fees or other costs associated with the sale. I'm happy to help friends but I don't want to be money out-of-pocket, arrested for ATF violations, or lose the person as a friend. So far I've achieved all these goals.
    the yooper