In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

10/22 Magnum

riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have one of these and when I purchased it the seller gave me a 50 rnd ProMag and told me the 22 mag worked in, but the stamp on the outside of the mag says 17 CAL The magazine fits the 10/22 but will it cycle a 22 magnum when it says 17 CAL on the mag itself. He said he never used it so he didnt know for sure
thanks

Comments

• riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    What is the value of a ruger 10/22 magnum?
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is that it will work, but there's one way to find out for sure.....[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    My guess is that it will work, but there's one way to find out for sure.....[:D][:D]

Thanks, Yep Guess I will I never owned a 10/22 mag. and finally found a NIB for a heck of a deal already fitted with a 3X9 Simmons, I hear its a great rifle and accurate. The thing must weigh 2-3 times more than a standard 10/22 Cant wait to shoot.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have not seen larger mags for the .22 mag or 17 HMR, not to say there is not any.

My guess is that the mag is for the .22 lr or 17 Mach 2.

As stated above the .22 mag and .17HMR are based on the same case and the .22 lr and .17 Mach 2 are based on a different case.

Since you say you have a .22 mag see if the mag fits in the gun, if so that makes it 99% sure it will work. Next see if your .22 mag ammo will load in the drum, if so it should shoot.
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger 22 Magnum magazine and the 17 HMR magazines are one in the same. There is no difference. Think of it this way, a stock 10/22 magnum magazine feeds 17 HMR with no problem. The same is true for the extended magazines. The extended magazine will function in a Ruger 10/22 Magnum for either the 22 Magnum or the 17 HMR because the dimensions for each cartridge are compatible for feeding in the 10/22.

I have an extended magazine for my 10/22 magnum and have switched the 17 HMR and 22 magnum barrels back and forth and the magazine works equally as well for either cartridge.

Regards,

Heavyiron
    edited November -1
    thanks and how hard is it to switch out a barrel between the two
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel switch should be as easy as removing the two bolts that go through the dovetail block under the chamber area; pulling out the old barrel, sliding in the new; and applying proper torque to the bolts when you put them back in.
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand the logic of why a 22 mag round should fit a 17 HMR mag. However, using that logic, and the commitment from a magazine seller that it would work, I bought a 25 round mag marked 17 HMR. It feeds 17 HMR just fine. However, it will NOT feed 22 mag. Several can be inserted but after about five they hang up and have to be forced out with a thin screwdriver or whatever else can be inserted in the mag. In other words, my magazine will not work with 22 mag in my 10/22 mag rifle. If yours does, great.
    edited November -1
    mine just says 17 CAL nothing else Not 17 HMR guess there may be a difference