In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old 22 single shot

nuttinbutxsnuttinbutxs Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Last night at the range one of the shooters brought a neat little 22LR bolt action single shot with him that his father-in-law had. This is a youth model with a pull type cocking knob. Didn't measure it but it looked about the size of a Cricket or other typical youth guns of old. The only markings on it were on the receiver just in front of the cocker which said "RABBIT 22LR". It had excellent rifling and shot a 10 shot 1/2 inch hole at 50 feet. Any idea who made this gun and it's approximate age?

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    could be one of many hardware store guns or the ones ya got way back when as prize for selling things(cloverine salve) i have one marked ace that came from canada it is a little thing
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Maybe a Stevens Model 15.
  • nuttinbutxsnuttinbutxs Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this 22 isn't a Stevens model 15. The stock has a much smaller foreend for one thing but I know that could have been modified. But the cocking knob is just a cone shape about 1/2 inch in diameter at the rear and 3/4 inch long, it is not the typical button or narrow waisted grip type cocker. The front sight is a half moon as was on the old Colt revolvers and the rear sight is an open blade in a dovetail on the front of the receiver. I suspect it was a cheap hardware store gun but it piqued my interest and thought someone may have heard of it. Thanks for the feedback.
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a Savage model 3 or 3A. I have something very similar that is maked as a model 3. My cocking knob was modified at some point as it is not original. But it shoots fine.
  • nuttinbutxsnuttinbutxs Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a Savage model 3 or an Iver Johnson 2X. I'm still leaning toward the Hardware store gun since the size doesn't match either of those models - this being a youth gun with a 16" or so barrel - and no mention of a youth version in either. It is also only 22LR where the others are short, long and LR. Doesnt really matter I guess, it's nothing collectible I'm sure and it's still a lot of fun to play with. Thanks for your replies.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Maybe a Hamilton.