In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

icon rifles

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone hear had any experience with these. Accuracy, seem to have okay quality from what I've seen. Good, bad?

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always had good luck with T/C quality control and service, but my direct experience has been with Contenders and black powder rifles and handguns. For what it's worth I did read that the gorgeous wood featured in some early write-ups is a thing of the past. Other than that, I haven't read anything bad about them, nor have I read anything that has tempted me to sell my Ruger Hawkeye.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in .22/.250. The accuracy is OK but my old 788 in that chambering shoots better groups. The best load so far averages .91--There are 12 different recipies that will do better than that in the 788. I don't care for the plastic 3-shot detachable magazine. (Even my "cheap" 788 magazine is steel). The bolt must be open to insert a full magazine making it a 3-shot rifle. The wood on mine is better than average so that's not an issue on mine. I guess I just think that plastic does not belong on a rifle in this price range. I also don't like the serrated top line of the receiver--I only put ONE set of scope rings on my rifles.

EDIT: tsr1965: I KNOW that; I was joking (apparently not very well!). I don't like the appearance of all those notches--it looks crude to me--a matter of taste, I guess. Since I collect bolt action rifles, I had to have an Icon, but if I had read the glowing reports from some of the posters here before I bought it, I would be even more dissapointed in the rifle than I am now.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Icon's are a great rifle. The quality from TC is superb, as well as their warranty. The Wood on the Icon was advertised for the first 500 or 1000 rifles were going to get exhibition grade walnut. TC always did have good walnut anyway, on their muzzleloaders way back when.

Other qualities of the rifle is the detatchable box magazine, and the picatinny type scope base, that is integrally machined into the reciever(Ambrose, that is meant not to mount several items, but to provide a means of adjustment for the eye relief of different scopes).

The accuracy is decent out of the box, and there is a 1/2 MOA gun available from the custom shop, although a little pricey. Most standard production guns are capable of sub MOA when fed a diet they like.

Over all, the Icon is an OK value, being topshelf from an American company...but could be better.

Best
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one, 243 Win. I really like it and I love the serrated top of the receiver. It is for Weaver rings. Somebody should have done this sooner.
  • B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the classic models in 300 win mag. I absolutely love it. Accurate, pretty and smooth. I have only shot winchester factory loads through it and it shoots 1-1/4" groups, sometimes better, all day long.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

The T/C Icon rifle is a well-thought out, nicely designed and manufactured rifle. Several excellent features were combined in order to make it a top quality factory rifle. This includes the integral rail, 3-lug bolt head on a constant diameter bolt body, interchangeable bolt handles and the bedding block. The trigger is tunable and more than acceptable for a hunting rifle.

The 5 that we tested had very good accuracy when we had the conditions, the rest and the properly developed ammunition. Accuracy is dependent on so many variables that this is about as good as it gets. Good shooters get good accuracy.

Best.
  • kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 1 in 308 early model the wood is excellent and 1 of the most accurate rifles i have shot. the only draw back in my opion is the weight but then im getting old. not sure how the newer models are but i give it a great thumbs up