In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bulge in a riffle barrel

William A HarlandWilliam A Harland Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I purchase a 30=06 rifle at a gun auction and it has a slight bulg on the 24" barrel when you run your finger over it you can feel the bulg. it is 1 1/2'in from the end. Would it be safe to fire it or just have it cut off 1 1/2" The rifle is a custom mouser with a flags barrel. What would it do to the accuracy of the rifle. THANKS

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firing that gun should not damage the action or the barrel but certainly would not help accuracy. If the bulge is 1 1/2" from the muzzle I would just have the barrel cut and re-crowned.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with lefty. Also did you mean custom vs costume?
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    shoot it to determine if it affect accuracy and if it does cut it and have it recrowned and the front site if it has it re-attached.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it would be safe to shoot. try it out,if it hurts the accuracy just have it cut off and recrowned, if its only 1 1/2 inch you might also try counter boring like they do mosins,may be a cheap fix,if not you can cut it off later
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    " If the bulge is 1 1/2" from the muzzle I would just have the barrel cut and re-crowned.'.....+1, counterbored barrels never shoot well (ok maybe, well-never)
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    William A Harland,

"The rifle is a custom mouser with a flags barrel."

I'm sure you mean that your rifle is a MAUSER sporterized by FLAIG'S.

Flaig's was located in Millvale, PA, near Pittsburgh, and I believe they operated from shortly after WW2 until maybe the 1980s. I'm working again today so I can't check my references. Their market niche was the conversion of military surplus rifles (or souvenirs brought home by returning GI's) into good quality sporting rifles. They also sold barrel and stocks and other items for other gunsmiths and hobbyists to use. They also did general gunsmithing type work, and were highly regarded among shooters. For decades nearly every issue of the American Rifleman had a Flaig's ad between the covers somewhere. While there probably is not a lot of collector interest or value in your rifle, it's probably a good one. I've owned a large number of Flaig's rifles over the years and each one had a great stock with a decently accurate Douglas barrel.

An example of their work:

flaigsmk10270win.jpg

There is no use in trying to shoot a bulged barrel. I don't care what the other opinions are, cut it off and have a proper crown cut, THEN go shoot it for accuracy. Anything less is a waste of time. If it doesn't shoot to your expectations after the cut/crown, you should look into having it rebarreled. It's that simple.

Best.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can carefully drive a OO buck pellet from the breech you can feel where the pellet gets loose.
    You can cut a little before that point.
    A telescoping gage could also be used.
    "Ringed barrels" on Army riffles were classified unserviceable and had to be rebarreled but yours can be restored by cutting and recrowning.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    If you can carefully drive a OO buck pellet from the breech you can feel where the pellet gets loose.
    You can cut a little before that point.
    A telescoping gage could also be used.
    "Ringed barrels" on Army riffles were classified unserviceable and had to be rebarreled but yours can be restored by cutting and recrowning.

I would suggest trying this. My question was if you were sure it was a true bulge or a manufacturing characteristics. Perhaps a relic left over from military sights or a bayonet lug, but sounds like the barrel was replaced.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    What may have caused the bulge would be a major concern to me?

Sage 1
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Bulges are caused by obstructions, nothing else.............. On gun barrels that is ......