In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Info on Savage .303 lever action

country130country130 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a savage .303 lever action if anyone knows about these rifles and could help please let me know what info you need from the rifle to help determine the value or anything about it

Edit: Topic moved to appropriate forum

Comments

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for info you should use ask the experts or general forums.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To help you with identification, information & valuation on your rifle, quality photos would be required.

The following link give instructions with posting photos on the forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you have a Savage model 99 cambered in 303 Savage, which is not to be confused with 303 british, very collectable but almost impossible to find ammo for, check auctions for other 99's for a value.
  • jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    country130 it sounds like a 1899 an 1895 or a model 99 all are very sought after rifles in todays market I could help you find out alot of info on your gun but then it might take some of the fun out of it for you. I have a few of these guns and its very interesting to go thru the process of finding out about a certian gun. if you go to 24hourcampfire.com and go to the savage collectors forum you will be plesantly accepeted and be able to find out just about everything about your rifle there is to know!!! read the stickys and dont be afraid to ask questions. the guys there are a fine bunch! good luck!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    country 130,

The .303 Savage is hard to find ammo for, but not as hard to reload for once you find brass. It uses the standard .308 dia. bullets. It can push a 150 gr. bullet out @ around 2500 fps. Meaning it's about midway in between a .30-30 and a .308. Factory loads certainly won't give you that anymore though. And, factory loads will probably be more collectable. So, I wouldn't shoot them.

Anyhow, this place may still have or make them:

http://www.reedsammo.com/

Something you may not know and that is the .303 Savage was pretty much the first smokeless powder round to be introduced comercially to this country. It gave much better performance than the .30-30 (some say minimal). But, smokeless powders available at that time were still pretty limited. 200-300 fps is still a pretty good jump back in those days.
  • country130country130 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the helpquote:Originally posted by jar
    country130 it sounds like a 1899 an 1895 or a model 99 all are very sought after rifles in todays market I could help you find out alot of info on your gun but then it might take some of the fun out of it for you. I have a few of these guns and its very interesting to go thru the process of finding out about a certian gun. if you go to 24hourcampfire.com and go to the savage collectors forum you will be plesantly accepeted and be able to find out just about everything about your rifle there is to know!!! read the stickys and dont be afraid to ask questions. the guys there are a fine bunch! good luck!
  • jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey country130, just out of noseyness let us know what you find out!
  • the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out http://www.savage99.com . They've got lots on info on all the Savage lever action models and sub-models including dates of manufacture.
    the yooper