In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 - re-visited

I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
nononsense:

Is that rifle with the plywood stock one of your favorite firearms?

Nice picture!

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I.Shute,

Yes, indeed it is![}:)]

You know I can't be happy unless I'm producing fine rifles fitted with plywood stocks! [xx(]

Actually, it's not even one of mine. It's just a generic example of a rifle which uses a muzzle brake. It is a .22-250 if I recall correctly.

Plywood serves a purpose but it will never replace fine walnut or even maple for that matter. The material is utilitarian and always will be, nothing more, no matter what the advertising copy writers want you to believe...

Thanks for noticing!

Best.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    One guy I hunt with says the plywood stocked rifle he shoots is great! The plywood is MUCH better, stronger, prettier than particle board.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is hardly a substitute for a fine Circasian walnut stock. Blood red/brown with black veins flowing through her....[:p]

Laminates are great for strength but hardly a substitute for a fine looking stock made from a solid hardwood cured correctly.
    edited November -1
    "One guy I hunt with says the plywood stocked rifle he shoots is great! The plywood is MUCH better, stronger, prettier than particle board."

And he is indeed correct! [;)]

I will recommend them for hostile environments when a synthetic is unacceptable to the client but for the most part I ignore them. This is for the simple reason that why should I settle for plywood when I can make something like this instead?

rigbyafricancustom416ri.png

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah but when you dragging a rifle through the paces in harsh places,..do yall really feel OK dinging up a peice of nice wood??[;)]
    edited November -1
    JustC,

"...do yall really feel OK dinging up a peice of nice wood??"

Yes Sir!

Pride of ownership and craftsmanship. Besides, they're like potato chips; beat 'em up, bang 'em up, thrash 'em around. We'll make more...

Actually, I really do prefer the wood stocks when finished with an excellent oil and the grain is filled. Then it's fairly easy to fix a stock like the one illustrated above, unless you break the grain by really gouging it or by a deep scratch. Then it takes a lot more work and something will still show afterward.

On the other hand, there are some pretty outlandish harlequin color combinations being produced by Rutland for the stockmaking industry. I have a few on order right now to use for competition stocks where the quality of the wood (or lack thereof) doesn't matter. Plywood in bright, garish colors seems to satisfy some primal need for some shooters...

Best.

ADDED:

Harlequin:
    laminatedstockspurplean.jpg

More than acceptable, very nice:
    laminatedstockswalnutma.jpg

This is a West Custom Stock laminated which I think is a great example of using lamination and still maintaining some integrity with the original fine wood stock.

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't carry a stock like the one in your photo nononsense,..I would be mortified to harm a peice of walnut that beautiful.
    edited November -1
    JustC,

I know, that's why we started offering a back up stock from McMillan as an alternative to carrying a fine wood stock into harsh environments. Folks don't mind some scratches and gouges on a synthetic stock but get really upset over marks on a custom wood stock. The custom stock was reserved for the gunroom display case while the synthetic was hidden away in a closet. [;)]

I have handled and shot some excellent rifles that have seen service for a couple of decades (or more...) in Africa. The wear and abuse would surprise anyone but the rifle is still a tool and gets treated as such in many instances.

Best.