In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Importing firearms

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering how much of a headache it is importing firearms into the United States from Canada is. I'm not talking about C&R or NFA or otherwise restricted item.

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Hi
    I need your help and advice on importing firearms from Mexico to the US.
    I inherite 6 firearms:
    *high standard Victor 22cal
    *Colt Police positive special 32-20
    *Brawning arms 22 long rifle
    *Ruger 10/22
    *JP Sauwe & Shon 22 cal revolver
    *Merwin Hulbert & Co. 38 cal (love this one) this last one was built in 1888. might be concider as Antique.

I want to bring these from Mexico to the US, These are sitting in a border town in Texas, at my fathers hospital. I can bring them across the border to Customs.

I have asked ATF and they tell me that a regular FFL dealer can do it but the person I asked in that border town (us side) told me he could not.

Customs tells me once the Form 6 is approved I can go and get the fireamrs and just declared them with the form ant that should be all it is needed.

i have contac some companies that have the type 8 license but the want to charge over $1000.00 which I can not pay and on top of that they will mark the firearms with their name which will depreciate the value of the firearms.

HELP PLEASE who can guide me and help me with thsi project.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone here have experience importing a firearm? I've wanted a rook rifle for years. I recently found a website with several for sale at reasonable prices. Problem is they are in Australia. I don't want to waste the guys time if it's going to cost a fortune to get it here or if it's just too much hassle for an individual to do. Can anyone tell me what's involved? These guns are both pre and post 1899. Is it easier to bring in one that is legally an antique? ThanksWOODS
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's difficult enough that the few folks who have done it say that they would never do it again.

You must have a licensed importer in the US get a permit & arrange for transfer with the seller. It must be shipped to a bonded warehouse so that it can be inspected, import duty paid, & it must be stamped with the import marking.

Lots of taxes, fees, shipping charges, transfer charges, et. Figure $400-500 for one gun. (And, that Norinco M14 is an "otherwise restricted item".)

Neal
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I knew Norinco items were restricted from import (thankfully I'm not in the market for any right now!). I was interested in a Turkish shotgun that doesn't seem to have an American importer. It was cheap, looked cool, and I figured "why not?"

Well, now I know!

Thanks for saving me a lot of time, money, effort, and grief![:)]
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    In theory you can do it yourself by filing an ATF Form 6...And praying it will be approved before your death. The reality is that unless you are an importer or a FFL dealer (we can make occasional imports) it just is not going to happen. Most of the companies that will handle imports for you want $200 up front money for the gun plus you pay all of the related fees; which Neal already listed. Unless you've found an extremely valuable gun overseas that can be purchased at a bargain price, importing a firearm is not worth the time and trouble.