In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

considering buying a ar-180

Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
To add to the collection. What should I go after a Sterling, of U.S.A. model?

Things to look out for?

TIA

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure there were only 3 manufacturers the original Costa Mesa guns are few and pricy. The Sterlings are probably the most common and the Howa Japan models. Of the 3 the Sterling would probably be the best bet. Scope mounts and hand guard rails are now available from Midwest Industries. As far as what to look out for the biggest concern is magazines. There are not a lot of them out there but they can be found, but it will take some searching. As far as the rest of the gun they are pretty robust but look at it as you would any other gun of this type. Finish can vary and they aren't as pretty as most other guns as those spot weld marks are not the most desirable feature on any gun. I picked one up for my brother 20 years or so ago and he likes it very much. He has no desire to purchase any other AR type rifle he likes what he has.
    Good luck in your quest.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy whatever you can find now. As said the Costa Mesa's are hard to find. Howa's are the least number made, and the most hard to find, and cost the most now.
    Sterling made the most and have the worst finish, but cost the least.
    Original scopes are going for about $500. The are aftermarket scope mounts out now.
    The 30rd. mags are the hardest and most expensive, if found.
    My very first AR is a Howa with AR-180 scope, that will be the last one I sell.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The Sterling model is what you will find more often than not. There were more Sterlings made than Costa Mesa or HOWA. The prices for the Sterling will run close to $800.00 to $1,000.00 and the HOWA and Costa Mesa $500.00 more. They are a very good gun. Do your home work. My 2 cents
    Greg [8D]
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    I left an answer for you over in GD. I really hate technical questions that appear in more than one forum [:(!]
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I left an answer for you over in GD. I really hate technical questions that appear in more than one forum [:(!]
    I appreciate it Mark, but not everyone in GD comes into this forum and vise versa.

The mods can lock this one or the other if it offends. I was just trying to maximize my chance of drawing the "experts" out, and I think it served it's intended purpose [^].

Thanks again for the information.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In regard to magazines, there are no original 30-round AR-180 magazines of which I am aware, only 20-rounders. However, many AR-15/M16 aftermarket magazines have the extra latch slot on the opposite side so they can be used in the AR-180. It is also possible to alter AR-15/M16 magazines to work in the AR-180. Just grind off the AR-15/M16 latch "bump" and cut a slot on the other side and the modified magazine will then work in the AR-180, yet can still be used in the AR-15/M16.

I am an ArmaLite fan so I favor the original Costa Mesa-made guns, but all the manufacturers made usable, reliable guns.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are original Armalite 30rd. mags out there, but they are the hardest to find and most expensive.
    I have 20 and 40rd. Armalite mags. The 40's are marked Sterling.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a early Costa Mesa made 180 for nearly 20 years it was absolutely reliable with quality ammo, but not as accurate as AR 15's, (might have been me?).

The thing you really have to watch out for with the 180's is the hinge for the folding stock. It's fragile and the achellies heel of the 180 design.

Never could figure out where Armalite was coming from when they were trying to get it adopted by our military in the 60's. First and foremost military firearms have to be made soldier proof. That freaken mickey mouse hinge wouldn't have lasted a week in the field. It always amazed me that Howa in the 70's and Sterling in the 80's didn't make their 180's with a FAL type folding stock, instead of copying that POS from the Costa Mesa Armalites.