In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

McMillian Stocks

Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have a stockmaker who does good work? McMillian wants approx $800 for a restock per their price list. Is this the going price? I want to restock a Sako with a Mc Millian Hunter stock but at those prices I might foget it. Thanks
P.S. If this the fare, then this is the market price and I may be looking for a non existent and unrealistic price.

Comments

• FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What model? I have a SAKO M995 and was given a a much higher estimate from MacMillan,MPI Stock, and Manners.

Good luck!

Ed
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is the 995 (then/than), they (McMillan) have had to develop some machined bottom metal for their stocks which is integral to the Sako factory stock and couldn't be transferred. This was a fairly expensive endeavor for them and and they charged quite a bit for it which was $165 back in about 2005, this was in addition to the cost of the stock you chose. I'm sure their cost for this and their stocks has inflated a little since then. Also, some springs and pins had to be transferred from the old stock to boot.
  • Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sako is AIII long action with A Douglas prem. Barrel.The stock is not orginal Sako. My Uncle built this rifle using the Sako action. The stock is a walnut hunting stock, problem is he was very short armed so it is to short for me. I added a limb saver recoil pad but still to short.The rifle is a real accurate and with a better stock and a better scope I really think it would improve it's sub mim. current preformance. Question in my mind How much do I commit. Thanks for your comments. The midway Product is correct,but McMillan does piller bed and do the complete job which is not my bag.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stilwater36,

McMillan is considered by many to be the premier fiberglass stock maker in the world. As a result, the wait time for a stock can run from 6 months to a year depending on the model and the whim of the production folks. Doing a complete installation will generally take the entire year unless you happen to hit the production just right in timing your order. You can call Dick Davis if you need to discuss any issues with him for clarity.

From the McMillan price sheet:

COMPLETE INSTALLATION (with Limbsaver Pad) $803.00

Includes:

Full Inlet
    Recoil Pad
    Studs
    Paint or molded-in camo or marble
    Glass Bedding with Aluminum Pillars

*Barreled action not received in a gun case will be returned in a Doskocil Gun Guard Case, for an additional charge.

This is an alternative albeit, needing the pillars installed with a skim bedding. It should be significantly cheaper than using a McMillan.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-7/Bell-&-Carlson-Carbelite/Detail

Best.
  • HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Stillwater36---Depending on how you feel about cosmetics,(looks), you can add either a contrasting piece of wood, or the best match you can find, and then a new pad to match the contour. You will never totally hide this new joint unless you then coat the stock with something like "Dura Coat", any or all of this should cost way less than a new stock. Good Luck HAWKSHAW
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Stilwater36,

McMillan is considered by many to be the premier fiberglass stock maker in the world. As a result, the wait time for a stock can run from 6 months to a year depending on the model and the whim of the production folks. Doing a complete installation will generally take the entire year unless you happen to hit the production just right in timing your order. You can call Dick Davis if you need to discuss any issues with him for clarity.

From the McMillan price sheet:

COMPLETE INSTALLATION (with Limbsaver Pad) $803.00

Includes:

Full Inlet
    Recoil Pad
    Studs
    Paint or molded-in camo or marble
    Glass Bedding with Aluminum Pillars

*Barreled action not received in a gun case will be returned in a Doskocil Gun Guard Case, for an additional charge.

This is an alternative albeit, needing the pillars installed with a skim bedding. It should be significantly cheaper than using a McMillan.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-7/Bell-&-Carlson-Carbelite/Detail

Best.

+1! I wish I had the same alternative on my M995. Luckily, my stock is in excellent shape ... just exploring my options on other stocks.