In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.44 Mag. velocity

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Any ideas on the increase in velocity from a 7 1/2", to a 9 1/2" Bbl. in a Ruger Super Redhawk. Also, would you expect an increase in accuracy (by the shooter), due to the longer sight radius" THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25-50 FPS for the additional inches would be a good estimate. The longer sighting radius can help with accuracy to a point. Sight alignment makes a bigger difference overall. Keeping the front sight crystal clear and dead centered in the rear notch makes sure you are hitting what you are aiming at.

Put a scope on it and then our aging eyes become less of a liability. [:D][:D]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have any tables for the velocity increase but my WAG would be about 70 to 100 FPS increase adding 2" of barrel.

Increasing sight radius always helps in accuracy. The amount of benefit is up to the shooter.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A long heavy barrel always throws me off, unless shot from a rest of some sort. If possible test drive the two barrel lengths, to see which one you shoot better with. 50+ FPS don't seem hardly worth it if the the accuracy and handyness of the 7 1/2" barrel is comparable to the one with the 2" longer barrel.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    My 3" 29 seems to blow thing up quite well.

Doug