In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Term "Service Model"

coolh20scoolh20s Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm new to firearms, and had a question about a specific term. I'm looking to purchase a XD9 and in the description is the term "Service Model." I've seen it used a few times and was hoping someone might be able to let me know what it is referring to.

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all hype and marketing. Doesn't mean a d*m thing here in the States because the XD9 isn't G.I. to our forces. On the other hand it might be true for the Croatia armed forces, as thats where it made.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally Service model is used to describe a 1911 type model without all the bells and whistles that many shooters think they need like beavertail grip safety one piece guide rod ambi safety and slide stop YADA YADA YADA. However I think this is a stretch in terms as far as I know the military never used any type of XD9
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springfield Armory, INC. is using the term "Service Model" to describe their 4" barrel pistols; "Tactical Model" to describe 5" barrel pistols; also use "Compact" and "Ultra Compact" for shorter barrels. Advertising jargon - that's all.