In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

win 88-.284

rusobr2rusobr2 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i have a chanch to buy a win 88 in .284 cal.for a very reasonable price-problem is,the ammo selection is very limited. i'v been told their is some high powered stuff out there,or should i think about rechambering it to a more accessable shell? acctually i don't know what the he!! i'm doing, but the sign above says -ASK THE EXPERTS-so this is where i go before i make a move,any help would be a blessing,thanks,rusobr2 (steven)

Comments

• stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked up Winchester ammunition, and they offer 150 grain Super X Power Points in .284 Winchester. I checked Hornady ammo and Federal, and neither of them offers .284. It is possible that other manufacturers may load it. Further, you may find old .284 ammo at gunshows for example, and pick it up for a better price.

That Model 88 is a very nice rifle, and the .284 is an excellent round. I would not let the ammo situation deter you if you otherwise like the rifle. The rifle in that cartridge may be a bit rare. You may wish to confirm the availability of Super X ammo, and you may even have to special order it.

I had the Model 100 carbine in .284 in about 1966 and after. It is the semiautomatic and a sister rifle to the Model 88 leveraction. This rifle accounted for many deer and performed very well for me.

The ammo was advertised at 2900 fps.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you still have the chance, Grab it, and sort out the ammo problem later. Assuming good condition and a reasonable price this is one to have. Great round; highly sought after; worth keeping!!
    I'd sell the kids moped to get one.
    (If I had a kid that had a moped, which I don't, and it wouldn't be enough anyway, but still.....)
    [:D][:D]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second RCrosby. If the rifle is in good shape...the greater the shape the better, then grab it. You never said what price you could get it for. this rifle is rare in this chambering, so DO NOT RECHAMBER IT. If you get it and do not like it, then turn it over and make some $$$.

The factory ammo is a little touchy finding, and expensive when you do. If you handload this is no problem. Especially being a lever action, you can get some very respectable loads done up for it...like a 120 grain Nosler BT/Accubond that shoots like a laser for flatness. Great deer/black bear, and ELK(with heavier bullets) round.

Best
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Grab it, and if you have a time finding ammo for it, take up reloading or ask about for old factory ammo for it. I know I have quit a bit of it stached away from a old buy out..
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rusobr2,

If you can still get the rifle, I would do so. It's a good quality rifle in a very good chambering. As noted above: DO NOT RECHAMBER IT! That will take the value down on it and you won't be able really to rechamber it in anything that will work as well as the .284 case (it's fatter than the .308 and .243). They'll work, just not as well.

There is ammo being made for it by Winchester and there is probably going to be other manufacturers making it as well because the cartridge is on a comeback of sorts. A lot of LR shooters going to it as the magnums are too hard on barrels and this isn't nearly as hard on barrels as the 6.5-.284.

Take care of it and shoot it. It's a great rifle.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Grab it your talking $850 to $1000 depending on condition.
    I sold mine a couple of years ago and tripled what I paid for it.
  • 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If pre 1964 .284 but it now, If post '64 wait until the morning. Worry about the small stuff later. [:D]