In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A leather cheek piece

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me is there a "proper" way for the laces to be routed? I could not find any clear pix of the actual lacing. If anyone could offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe it is trivial, but I am curious.
Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Just so you know:
    Done properly, there will be a 'cheekpiece print' remaining on the stock if ever you choose to remove it. Now..

Position the cheekpiece where you want it with rubber bands. Soak the laces, and lace up the cheekpiece boot-style, with a reef-knot (square knot) at the end. Tuck the lace ends into the flap. The laces (they should be leather) will shrink as they dry.

You will notice an 'extra' eyelit on either side of the cheekpiece. You're supposed to secure the cheekpad to the stock with wood screws after you get the pad into its desired position. Best, Joe
    EDIT
    Ref knot position. Darn if I remember. I think [unconfirmed] the lace-work and the knot is the same as the lace-up used with WWII USGI canvas leggings (putees). Sorry, best I could do. Joe
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe:
    Thanks for the tips and cautions. Would the knot be at the front or at the butt end of the pad? Probably I will skip the screw option!! [:D]
    Mike
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,228 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    piece of advise if youve got a walnut stocked rifle. pre drill the holes where your gonna put the screws into or it might split. use a slightly smaller brillbit then the size of the screw. personally i bought a nylon cheek piece for mine that straps on. i have the black nylon stock and i would never put a wood screw in that let a lone a actual walnut stock.
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the input and their time. I appreciate the efforts to help. In case anyone else has this question, I did find a 4-step illustration for installation in the manual TM 9-1005-222-12, which also covers both the "C" and "D" models of the sniper model Garand. I have a reproduction of this manual, and even though the photos are pretty dark, you get the basic idea. I did not realize the info was right there, until after I asked here!

Cheers!
    Mike