In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30 Newton Part 2

FurseekerFurseeker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Guys thanks for all the comments about the 30 Newton. I have posted some pics on the original post. It really is a beautiful rifle. I still don't know what to do with the old gun. There is a big nagging part of me that wants to take it out and run one or two shots down range just to hear the bark and feel the kick. I will continue to do some research on it. But if there are more of you out there that know more about it keep posting please. What do some of you guys think, keep it the way it is or have it drilled and tapped for a scope, to moderen it up a little. Thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other neat design item is the floor plate is one of the action screws you can open and then turn the floorplate. to remove the barreled action from the stock. That is a GREAT looking rifle. I for one would not modify it in any way it is a piece of firearm History.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in .256 Newton and mine already had a side mounted K2.5 on it when I bought it several years ago. If the scope had not been on there, no way would I have put one on it! Also, that ammunition is much more valuable as a collectable than as shooting stuff, especially with the box you showed. If you need to shoot something, auction the rifle and ammunition (separately!) here and with the proceeds, you could buy SEVERAL good quality rifles that you could shoot to your heart's content. ANY modifications you make to that rifle will drastically reduce its value!!

As an aside: One of my books says you can make cases for .30 Newton from 8x68 brass (good luck finding those)(if you had dies--again, good luck). At least with my .256 I can make cases from .270, .25/06, etc.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dies are available from Buffalo Arms and 4D.

Brass is available from Huntington's along with dies also.

Best.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    cases can be made from 7 mm rem. mag. cases. the body will fireform to the dia. of the belt.