In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 Rossi

wcwiremanwcwireman Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to buy a 357 Rossi revolver model 971, in new condition and the price is $200. Is this a good gun and is the price fair? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Rossi 877 2" fixed sight 357 Mag that my wife bought new in 1998. It has fixed sights and shoots 4" left at 25'. Trigger pull is heavy and uneven. Sent it back for "adjustment" under Warranty. No improvement. Can't speak for the 971 but my experience is you get what you pay for. Save your money and find a nice used Colt, Smith, Ruger etc... Just my humble opinion.
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have a 971 (2.5 inch I think) but I do have a 4 and a 6inch in .357 mag. I have no complaints. $200 sounds pretty good.
    Just keep in mind that it is a shooter/truck gun not a Colt Python.
    Someone else may come along to tell you to save more money so you can buy a S&W, just disregaurd them.

They already beat me to the punch.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    I think it's fair to say that Rossi has had an uneven record for quality. Some good, some not so good. I own some Rossi lever action rifles and have no complaints. The price for the revolver is good and in my view, worth the risk.
  • legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    I had a 971 in stainless with a 6" barrel. I liked it. Accurate, trigger pull was ok. All in all a good handgun. I would buy one again for 200.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A coworker bought a new blue 4" barrel rossi 357 some years back, second time he took it to the range the frame cracked or was found to be cracked. He sent it in and they sent him a used 6" ss gun. He traded it immediately.
  • xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, get it, thats a steal at $200. I've got the 351 model and love it.

Mike
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a 971 with a 4" barrel and it was a decent gun but you need to be aware that this model had a very weak firing pin attached to the hammer. Quite a few of these pins were not heat treated properly and would simply break, leaving the pistol useless. Interarms, who was the importer at the time, was aware of this and would replace the pin no questions asked (broken or not) with the newer pin...But Interarms is long gone and there is no help if the pin breaks. The pin on my own 971 broke after firing about 500 rounds and was replaced with the new pin. I ended up selling that pistol to a friend about 10 years ago and she has never had any problems with the pistol.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Rossi 971 snub with the comp bbl. and I love it. I had a pancake holster made for it for carry. Grips fit my hand like it was poured into place. Puts them all into a six inch circle at 25 yards. I use handloads with 125 grain golden saber![:D]