In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on Savage Model 110

the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I've got a Savage Model 110 with a laminated stock in 250-3000 Savage chambering. I've been able to find out nothing about it. Was this a standard chambering for the 110? What is the barrel twist? I'm trying to get some loads developed for it for the upcoming deer season in 3 weeks.
Thanks
the yooper

Comments

• FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 250 savage has been chambered over the years in several different rifle action types with different rifling twist rates in the barrels and they range from the original Savage model 99 lever action 1 in 14" twist to Savage model 110 1 in 10" twist.

(http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.250-3000savage.html)

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Special run on the anniversary of the development of the 250-3000 cartridge.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the new Savage 14's in this chambering early this year. The best load I've come up with so far is 36 gr. of IMR4895 with the 100 gr. Hornady spire bullet. The velocity averages 2946 fps. Factory 100 gr. Remington RNCL's and 100 gr. Winchester silver tips shoot good, too, but they're a good bit slower: 2817 fps for the Rem. and 2654 fps for the silver tips.

I like the .250 Savage cartridge. I have seven bolt action rifles chambered for it including a pre-64 M70 and a Ruger 77RSI.

Good luck with your season--I hope you get a nice one with that rifle.

PS: Do I take it that you're hunting Michigan's UP? (With that handle-just a guess.)
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have very good luck with any 100gr bullet, nice shooting rifle with mild recoil. A good 87gr bullet will also work if you want that instead. I have good luck with Hornady's 100gr sp as well. Not expensive but very effective. Let us know what you find out, I have one of their old lever actions in that cal with 1/14 twist. Has trouble stabilizing anything over 87 grains. You will NOT have this problem as yours will have a 1/10 twist.

Let us know what you do. On with the quarter bore!
  • the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info! I'm planning on loading something using 100 grain bullets, likely Nosler Partitions, a personal favorite. I've also got a 250 in a 99 EG with an early Weaver K2.5 in Stith mounts. [:)] Ambrose, sorry to fake you out with the screen name. I was born and raised in the UP, hence the nickname, but I got captured by the Trolls (moved to the Lower Peninsula) to finish college. Still love the UP, but my hunting this year will be down here. I keep wavering back and forth between using a 6mm Remington, a 257 Roberts or the 250. I know they're all great choices for whitetail.
    the yooper
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take out what ever you fancy. I have reloading dies for all three of those rounds, but no rifles. I like the 257 Bob. I love the 6.5 x 55, but here in Michigan I head off into the woods this year with a Marlin .30-30 and an 1891 Sporterized Argetine 7.65 x 53mm!![:)]