In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HK 91 308 NATO - stay open ??

gunsmith12345gunsmith12345 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I understand from many, and from my own rifle - the HK 91 in 308 NATO does not have a feature to hold the bolt open after the last round like American guns. The American guns hold the bolt open after last round so next mag may be loaded quickly. The HK 91 just goes "click" and announces where you are located in the bush, and that you are out of amo. Then you remove and insert a new mag and cock the darn thing.

Is a modification available to hold the bolt open after the last round. Surely HK has a modification ??? Why the heck did HK make this gun like this - it makes no sense to me. Please help !!!

Comments

• ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guns were not designed to have a "hold open feature", just as were the AK style guns. One might figure a way to have the Mag follower pop up enough to hold the bolt open but as soon as you released the mag the bolt will close. This is the only way to get AK's to hold the bolt open after the last shot. You will probably just have to live with the situation or get a gun that has this feature.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This seem to be the first time I have ever herd anyone complain about HK 91 rifle. The M1 carbine does not stay open on the last round and its been around for fifty years and people collect, fire and is still being carried in some parts of the world. I would think that modifying this rife would also reduce the value unless it would be a bolt on device.

Emmett
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    The German Army did not specify a hold open feature in the G3, although the earlier German G1 (FAL) did have a hold open. There is no add on for the G3/HK-91 rifles that I was ever made aware of and I was an authorized HK law enforcement dealer for many years and went through the entire HK armorers school back in VA. Load two tracers into the magazine first and when you see them then you'll know your magazine is running dry. Of course everyone else seeing the trace will also know it.

The simple fact of life for the HK-91 is that no one is going to be in a protracted fire fight with one of these rifles anyway; In fact the chances of using an HK-91 rifle in a gun fight of any kind us about as likely as getting the Swine Flu, so whether the rifle has a hold open feature for civilians is nothing to concern yourself with.
    The West Hollywood bank robbers had a 91 converted to full auto and they seemed to manage pretty well without the hold open!
  • ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find this lack of a hold open feature bothersome also, regardless of how many "firefights" you might find yourself in.

The 30 rd magazines for the M2 Carbine had a different follower that would hold the bolt open when empty. The follower was cut square on the rear surface so the bolt would catch on it rather than slide over it when empty. That way, at least you would not be carrying around an "empty" rifle without knowing it. Perhaps the HK magazines could be modified in a similar manner.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ikeda
    I find this lack of a hold open feature bothersome also, regardless of how many "firefights" you might find yourself in.

The 30 rd magazines for the M2 Carbine had a different follower that would hold the bolt open when empty. The follower was cut square on the rear surface so the bolt would catch on it rather than slide over it when empty. That way, at least you would not be carrying around an "empty" rifle without knowing it. Perhaps the HK magazines could be modified in a similar manner.

Perhaps jbweld an empty case to the follower in the correct position - of course, this drops your capacity to 19 rounds, but you'll know when you are empty.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Somehow I think the 20 rounds you rattled off before the click will alert your enemy to your position, or maybe I am crazy.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think mark meant that it would alert your target that you were empty. Also the tracers would pinpoint your position.
  • gunsmith12345gunsmith12345 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TO ALL: This was my first question to the Experts - thanks to each of you !!! I sincerely appreciate the comments and suggestions - tracer or empty as last round. All of my other guns are open on last round - I guess it is just my assumption the HK should do same....I guess I will have to just go get that Rem R-25. Besides, after the 30 round magazine, the barrel is so hot it is time to die or be proud of marksmanship. Thanks !! PS: I have half a dozen good solid flip off scope mounts for the G3/HK91 if interested. I need night glow tritium front sight.

Originally posted by mark christian[/i]
    The German Army did not specify a hold open feature in the G3, although the earlier German G1 (FAL) did have a hold open. There is no add on for the G3/HK-91 rifles that I was ever made aware of and I was an authorized HK law enforcement dealer for many years and went through the entire HK armorers school back in VA. Load two tracers into the magazine first and when you see them then you'll know your magazine is running dry. Of course everyone else seeing the trace will also know it.

The simple fact of life for the HK-91 is that no one is going to be in a protracted fire fight with one of these rifles anyway; In fact the chances of using an HK-91 rifle in a gun fight of any kind us about as likely as getting the Swine Flu, so whether the rifle has a hold open feature for civilians is nothing to concern yourself with.
    The West Hollywood bank robbers had a 91 converted to full auto and they seemed to manage pretty well without the hold open!
    [/quote]
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They both died, and 67% of the population is projected to get the swine flu...[;)]

not trying to be a turd, just trying to make a the point, get what you need to be prepared, you never know when a quick mag switch might save your bacon..

the last two or three rounds of tracer ammo is a good trick, It is what I do too.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they are that close, I would be using my SP89 and an MP5.

Wait, they don't have a bolt hold open either.