In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Zastava EAA M88 9x19mm Pistol Feeding Problem

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone else have a Zastava EAA M88 9x19mm Pistol and tried to use hollow points, as I am having jamming problems where the hollow point jams right before the feed ramp even though I have been trying to hand polish with 0000 steel wool although fmj's feed perfectly.
I have read that using a dremel however there seems to be alot of concern that a dremel can ruin the feed ramps, so I haven't looked into that. Very nice solid 9x19mm Pistol btw that is basically a baby Tokarev and built like a tank with all steel mags including the finger rest.
Any particular brands that come to mind that you think should work that have a smaller hollow point in a heavy 147gr round?

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gun was designed to feed FMJ ammo.. any hollow point that feeds is a plus..try another brand that has more ogive and less large mouth
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut

Any particular brands that come to mind that you think should work that have a smaller hollow point in a heavy 147gr round?

Try Remington Golden Sabre, 147 grainers, they are made of a brass ally with a small hollow point and a rounded nose. I've always had good luck with them feeding.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    fordsix and Rufe are right, try a bullet shape that most closely resembles the ball profile, and is just short of maximum overall length.

Ive had luck with Remington 9mm 115-gr JHP's of near ball-profile in several guns, including Tokarevs in that caliber, and Tok's should be mechanically the same or very close to the M88. These were handloaded to just under maximum overall length, however,

I've tried a lot of different bullet types and shapes in a lot of military handguns, and many of those guns were problematic with anything except ball ammunition itself. Truncated short-cone bullets will often not fully chamber in a barrel that has a short ball seat that was designed for round-ogive bullets, unless they are seated in the case very deeply. But this short overall results in feeding jams when used in guns whose designs require a longer overall, so many loads become extremely gun-specific.

Go with what seems to work, but test the combination very thoroughly if you are going to use the gun for defense. For that reason, I've decided to go with ball ammunition in any 9mm, having the sure ability to rely on the many rounds under the slide.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut

I have read that using a dremel however there seems to be alot of concern that a dremel can ruin the feed ramps, so I haven't looked into that.

Dremeling a feed ramp is perfectly safe, and you won't screw anything up, if you use a felt polishing "bob" that has been saturated in fine grit polishing compound. All this will do is to put a mirror finish on the ramp, without removing any metal or changeing the angle of the feed ramp.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Expensive, but check out the Corbon Power Ball HP rounds. They have ball profile to feed in guns that don't like hollow points.

Edited to add, how do you like that gun? Does it have hammer bite?
    Had a chinese 9mm Tok I converted to 7.62x25. Was a fun gun just bit me everytime I shot it.
  • JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Expensive, but check out the Corbon Power Ball HP rounds. They have ball profile to feed in guns that don't like hollow points.
    Edited to add, how do you like that gun? Does it have hammer bite?
    Had a chinese 9mm Tok I converted to 7.62x25. Was a fun gun just bit me everytime I shot it.

These are very nice guns and have one of the original with wood grips in like new condition, have never had any problems with it.
    I like CorBons and yes they are expensive, but I might try the PowerBall ammo to see if that works.

Concerning using the Golden Sabers, unfortunately no dice, so apparently it just doesn't like any hollow points.
    I was thinking maybe a semi wad cutter or soft point might work in a heavy grain?
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also try the "new" Hornady Critical Defense FTX 9x19mm rounds. These have a very sharply tapered cone shape, with a fairly small open end filled with a polymer plug. I've only tried the .380 round in my KelTec - but they are adverised to work in ALL guns because of the tapered shape.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Try Federal EFMJ's, (expanding full metal jacket).