In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Safety on S&W Sigma 9VE

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
reading the specs on s&w s9ve it says there is no manual safety. so is the gun always in the fire mode?

Comments

• vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, just as every revolver is always in fire mode
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the safeties are internal. It won't go bang unless the trigger is pulled.
  • bustinstainlessbustinstainless Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a scary thing happen to me with the 40ve model
    i dropped mine on accident with one in the chamber
    it was the scariest second of my life i did not know if it was going to fire when it hit the concrete lucky for me it did not fire when it hit
    the only thing that happen was the magazine broke and it got scraped up
    still functioned great with another mag.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501
    reading the specs on s&w s9ve it says there is no manual safety. so is the gun always in the fire mode?

For your purposes EVERY gun is ALWAYS "in the fire mode".

That's one of the most important rules of gun safety.

But to answer your question, like many handguns including the Glock pistol, the Smith "Sigma" has no exernal safety. When a round is chambered, all you have to do to fire it is to pull the trigger.

These guns are perfectly drop safe, by the way.

The guns are designed so that the firing pin cannot contact the guns primer unless the trigger is pulled back.

You could literally hammer nails with a loaded gun and it won't go off (though you are an idiot if you actually try this).