In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SS Blackhawk

beasterbeaster Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a used SS Blackhawk, but the rear blade sight is rusty. I ordered a new one from Ruger and the set spring to go along with it. My question is how can I get the old one out? I removed the set screw and tried to work the sight lose, but no way. The sight will move right and left but not up and out. Does any one know how to help? Thanks

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't there a pin in the front of the sight?This has to be removed to get the top part of the sight off to get at the other screw under it.
  • cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the sight is moving it should come out The spring is against the angle on the bottom of the sight Push sight left and try to raise the right side of blade. watch because the spring will fly once sight is free Dave
  • beasterbeaster Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am hoping I don't have to remove the entire rear sight base. The assembly diagram at the Ruger site does not show a pin for the rear sight blade part # MR05901. Maybe I'll try calling Ruger. I'll also try Daves way. (with proper protective eyewear) Thanks
  • cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the blade is rusty there may be rust on the bottom of the blade put a drop of oil on it and try working the right side up while pushing left. the spring may shoot out the opening for the adjusting screw. You'll get it[:)] Dave
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave has it right.
    No need to remove the base.
    With the muzzle pointed away from you (always a good idea[:D])grab the right side of the blade with a set of pliers (you're throwing it out anyway), push all the way to the left, then pull up on the right end.
    A cut off Q-tip makes a good "plunger" for cleaning out the hole, right to left. Lightly oil, insert your new spring, catch the right end of the spring with the left dovetail type point on the bottom of the blade; again, push all the way to the left, then lower the right side down into the slot. Put the screw back in, and you're good to go.
    Some of the blades will have a dimple at the bottom which needs to line up with a corresponding notch in the base before it will slide all the way down. If your blade is doesn't have this dimple, don't worry about it. Haven't encountered it, but I suppose there's a chance that if your base was made for the plain blade and your replacement has the dimple, you may have to file it level with the rest of the sight before it will go in. Not a problem.
  • beasterbeaster Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got it. Dave had it right. I even found the spring half way across the kitchen. Thanks Barry[B)]