In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SHIPPING NON-FFL 1891 ARGENTINE?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I posted this question before and was told A-OK from the experts AND I have had a few shipped direct to me since. I just dropped out of bidding on one as the Seller states: "My Boss talked directly to an ATF agent that if you sporterize it changes its' designation from an Antique to a "Modified Rifle" & I need an FFL for them to ship." When telling my FFL this "news" he said: "The Government has everybody so afraid that Folks actively help them piss all over the Second Amendment...Disgusting!" Well guys....will you help educate this Seller; his BOSS and this ATF Agent about their laws??!![8)] P.S. Their 1891 Argentine Mauser had "Loewe Berlin" on rcvr. and was sporterized.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has come up a bunch of times in the past both with C & R firearms and pre 1898 antiques. The bottom line is that the owner of the firearm sets the terms and conditions of sale. If he wants to ship it through a 01 FFL and notes this on the auction, don't bid on it if your not willing to buy it on this basis.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    His gun means his rules and since no one ever got into trouble by doing more than specified in the regulations he plays it very safe. Once it goes to an FFL dealer it then becomes that dealer's problem to get it to the buyer.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seller may set whatever conditions he wants- but an antique firearm does NOT lose antique status if modified. A C&R MAY lose it's status.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer your question, the ATF agent is wrong.
    Sporterizing an antique in no way changes the antique status.

If the receiver was made before 1899 the gun is an antique, end of story.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was similar post a while back and I believe someone posted that some of the 1891s were made after 1899 therefore they are not technically antiques. Not sure the details. I have one made by DWM and I think the previous post said these could go either way depending on serial number. Of course this is all from memory so I could be off base.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Enbloc knows. He mentioned 'Loewe'. It's an an-teek, boys!
  • ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The same rules apply to say a Winchester 1886. If it was made prior to 1898 it is an antique. If made after 1898 it is a C&R. The serial number is important.