In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cracked stock

MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I got my Savage Fox(mod.B)20 ga.out over the weekend.
I noticed a crack (2") in the butt stock on the left side,
starting at the very frt.where it meets the metal.Is this
a common problem w/these?Would new wood be a waste of time
and $$$,just to see it happen again? Any and all input
is appreciated.BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

Comments

• MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a Model 70 featherweight that came back from an elk hunt with a cracked stock. I need some advice on how to get it repaired - or just try and replace it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I would not want to hold something up to my face with a cracked or repaired stock - particularly something with enough oof to knock down elk. Try Brownell's, Midway, Cabela's, etc-they all sell replacement stocks. Or, you may be fortunate enough to get someone on here who has an original replacement stock for your rifle. Gun Parts Corp may have them as well. Good luck....
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wray,
    Welcome to the forums. We need more information about your model 70 feather weight. Old or new? If it's a newer gun you might contact Winchester and see what they say. If it's an older gun, late 60s through 90s you can check www.Numrich.com , if it's a nice stock and the crack hasn't defaced the stock you can contact a good gun smith and have it pined and repaired. I have a 300 Win mag thats had the stock pinned and Accru Glassed, unless you know exactly where to look, and know what it looked like befor, you'd never find the spot. I've shot the gun for years since that repair was made, the stock is stronger now than when new.
    Hope this helped.
    W.D.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really need more info on the crack before offering advice to repair or replace: how bad a crack? Where? Any pictures?
    If it's broken in two, or nearly so, I'd say definately replace it, but like the Capt' said, many cracks can be glassed and pinned successfully.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If a stock has been repaired the correct way it will never break in the same spot ever again.
    I've done a lot of them and never a problem.. My .284 XP-100 deer pistol rear grip stock was broke in 3 places when it fell out of the tree stand and I've been shooting it for years since I repaired it.... See what a new one will cost compared to repairing the one you have, and go from there.....
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A competent gunsmith can repair your stock to just as strong as new but may not disappear cosmeticly . Check the auction sites Gun Broker , {elsewhere} . EBay still allows stocks on their site . Personaly I'll have nothing to do with EBay because of their politics ! www.stockys.com has a ton of stocks from several manufacturers.
    edited November -1
    The rifle is a Model 70 XTR Featherweight, in 308.

I'm not techno savvy enough to send pictures, but the crack essentially runs through the pistol grip about half way up, but follows the grain half way to the butt. I'm thinking I'd like to send it to a good stock person and get his opinion. If it could be glued back together fairly reasonably that would be my first choice. Guess what I need is a name for someone in the Colorado - Wyoming area to contact first. Thanks for all the advice. It does help.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    That should be www.stockysstock.com
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CDNN has new Winchester Feather weight stocks on sale right now,Cheap around $50.00 or $60.00.Google CDNN and download their catalog.[8D]
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a gun smith school in Denver, I think, do a search. You may be able to get a heck of a deal from them. I knew a gun smith who graduated from the Denver School of Gun Smithing (I think thats right)years ago that was very competent, and spoke highly of the school.
    Hope this helps.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info on the Denver school. I'd really like to get this stock repaired. It is a rifle I gave to my wife as a present. Because of her stature, we had the stock shortened about two inches. Would really hate to buy a new replacement and have to shorten it too.

If it were mine I'd put a Hogue on it and forget it, but she likes wood and who am I to disagree with that. She hates my laminates and synthetics. Difference of opinion is what causes horse races.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Winchester.