In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tanfoglio EA9 Witness 9mm

trailblazer472trailblazer472 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
can anyone give me any insight about this gun & relative value used?..ex cond.with box...hard chrome finish.
thanx,
trailblazer

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Paid 290 wholesale for one new in the early 90s. Great guns.

Figure 300 for the base gun, plus a little more for box, and about $20 per extra mag.

Does it have the slide mounted decocker?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    This is one of several nearly identical pistols that Tanfaglio produced and were imported by a variety of American firms and is a clone of the Czech CZ-75 pistol. EAA began importing their Witness series about twenty years ago and the EA9 Witness is (as far as I know) still a current model and retails for around $475. The chrome variation was dropped about ten years ago but I doubt that there is much of a premium for this finish. What kind of condition is the pistol in and do you have the factory box and papers? Condition has everything to do with resale value, but I'll tell you up front that these are valued for shooting (they are fine shooting guns) and there is not much collector interest.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trailblazer472
    can anyone give me any insight about this gun & relative value used?..ex cond.with box...hard chrome finish.
    thanx,
    trailblazer

The "Witness" is an Italian made clone of the famous Czech CZ-75 pistol, though there are multiple functional differences.

Most of the parts will NOT interchange. The Witness has an extended beavertail grip standard. Witnesses have reversible mag release buttons, the CZ75 does not. CZ mags will work in Witness guns (so long as the mag button is in the standard position on the left side of the gun), though the converse is usually not true. Also, the firing pin safety on the Witness is a better design than the one on the CZ-75B, as it acts as a "dead fall" that works WITH the trigger instead of against it. Lastly, the Witness was designed to be easily caliber-convertable, though yours is built on the older "small frame" and probably can only be converted to .40SW and (if you are lucky enough to find a converson) .22LR.

These details aside, the Witness is s great-shooting gun, and for a long time one of the best values out there in its price class.

I'd guesstimate yours with chrome finish in excellent condition with original box at $350-400. The chrome finish should bring a slight premium over the usual blued finish, but as mentioned these guns have no collectors value.