In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Source for used guns to sell on Gunbroker.com

Center_MassCenter_Mass Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm applying for my FFL and hope to have it in hand by the first of the year. I plan to sell out of my house, not in a traditional store front.

I would like to include quality used guns in my inventory but I'm kind of stumped on where to get them. I thought about marketing for them on the Web. As I did my research, I was disappointed to find that not many people were doing searches trying to find someone to sell their guns to.

What other sources are there? Are there distributors that have nice used guns at a price that you can make a buck on? If so, who? Other sources?

Comments

• Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of sources to buy and sell. You need to consider what guns to buy now that will increase greatly in value later. Consider how much profit and in what time frame it will occur.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're surprised? Look at it this way: If you are able to post on the Internet, accurately describe your gun, take high quality photos, pack, & ship it, you are not going to sell it for 50% of its value, you are going to post it on a Gunbroker auction & get full retail for it.

Before the Internet, used gun sales were primarily local; there has never been a Used Gun Warehouse. I do know one dealer in the Northeast who spent his winters in Florida, where he would buy used guns from dealers, gun shows, & ads in the local papers. Other dealers have traditional storefronts, are well established in the community, & folks looking to sell guns seek them out. You will have to come up with your own angle or niche if you want to successfully deal in used guns.

I'm assuming that you wouldn't get an FFL without first preparing a Business Plan. Once you have your core business established, you may find a way to expand it into used guns.

Neal
  • Options
    Center_MassCenter_Mass Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    Lots of sources to buy and sell. You need to consider what guns to buy now that will increase greatly in value later. Consider how much profit and in what time frame it will occur.

JM, I appreciate that you took the time to repsond to my post and this is not meant to be disrespectful in any way.

You said there are "lots of sources to buy and sell" but didn't include any of those sources. Can you enlighten me?

I agree that a good buy and hold strategy can be very profitable. I need to mix short term with long term though. Could you share some ideas on what to buy for a long term hold?

Again, thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote: I plan to sell out of my house, not in a traditional store front.

they're cutting back on those kind of permits
    you have to list store hours and actually have the dedicated space in the house

just my 2c
    tom
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put an ad in the local papers..."Buying Used Guns", if you pay a few dollars more than the local pawn shops, you may get some people wanting to sell.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Put a guns wanted ad in your local paper. You are going to also have to buy and sell guns locally in order to get any decent gun offered to you. The good guns you will get as trade ins rather than someone offering to sell it to you in most cases. Additionally you need to build up a reputation for paying a fair honest price for any guns you do buy. Word travels fast and far in the gun world. Once guys hear that you will buy their gun at a fair price when they need money they will bring them to you.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Find an overstocked pawnshop, out away from your site, and ask the propriator if he would be interested in selling a large number of guns to you.
    Or just pick out 10 or 20, figuring how much you can pay for each and ask him to give you an out the door price on all of them. If his price is less than your total, buy them.

BE WARNED. No tire kicking or dry runs. Have the CASH in hand before you do this. NOTHING can make an enemy of a dealer faster than wasting his time with a "Beback".
  • Options
    fiawolfiawol Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit local gun shows as well, and buy up guns that people are looking to unload for anything they can get for them. Private collectors set up at shows all the time, and many times are just looking to get rid of extra items, not trying to squeeze out top dollar for them (although some are the opposite way, and WAY overcharge for what they are trying to sell). Do your research so you know what are the good buys and what is overpriced. Set up at said shows yourself with big "BUYING GUNS!" signs for people coming in looking to sell their father's/grandfather's collection. It will require a lot of legwork (and money) on your part, so make sure you are not underfunded when you open up your new business.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Center_Mass

You will be your own best resource int his deal. If you don't have the ambition to search for yourself, then no one is going to hand it to you.

That said, you need to look at local auctions, and estate sales. Little old ladies that have lost their husband, and are getting rid of his collection to live. Pawn shops can be another good deal, if you frequent several of them in your area. If you don't frequent them, then someone else will inevitably get the deal. Places like CDNN, lots of time, have quality police trade-ins, as do some other distributors. Lots of people trying to unload guns for cash, often use the obvious, where they have been before. They might not be receptive to the "New Kid", on the block. It all depends on YOU, how much time and effort you want to spend, will ultimately determine the results you get outof it. Be for warned though, if you are doing this as a part time gig, to help you acquire things, it will cost you a lot of $$, and most likely be a short deal.

Best