In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 w/ USCC marks?

BobH.BobH. Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to run down any information I can on an 1885 low wall I have. The serial # is 119704. It was originally 22WRF but was converted to 22 Hornet at some time in the past. The gun is hand stamped U.S.C.C. 702.5.9.19 on the side of the receiver and has had at least 4 sets of sights on it. The originals, now gone first. Presently it has a flip over v notch Lyman set up, flip one way for a low blade and flip the other for a high blade. The post front sight has a flip down hood. There's a set of Unertl scope bases and holes tapped in the tang for a tang sight long gone. The octagon barrel has a hole drilled and plugged with a screw one flat off the top, about 10 o'clock, just in front of the receiver. ??? Any one know what the test rig looks like when they used to measure chamber pressure in copper units of pressure? I was thinking this might have been a test gun for the United States Cartridge Co. A guess was 702 was their number and the 5.9.19 was the acquisition date but that's just a guess. They had an extensive firearms collection but an old catalog shows 702 was a Colt caliber 31.

I bought this gun to refinish since the stampings, altered chambering and swiss cheese holes in the barrel ruined it as an original even though it is basically in fairly good shape but now that I've got into this history quest I'm not sure what I'll do with it.
I wish I could take some pictures but I need a new camera. Any ideas on what I've got? Bob

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bob,

Yes, I do know what the pressure test rig looks like.

The "U.S.C.C." does indicate that it was once a cartridge test gun for the U.S. Cartridge Co. The date stamped on the side of the receiver frame is when it was first put into use.

I would really like to see pictures of it.