In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old millitary rifles

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
what are the old bolt action millitary rifles called so I can look them up on gun broker?

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Mauser, Arisaka, Ross, Enfield, Lebel, Springfield, Madson, Krag, Mosin Nagant, Fruwirth, Carcano, Steyr, Beaumont, and Remington-Lee come to mind. Probably others.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You might try Mauser Model 91,92, 95,96,98 Springfield model 03 03A3 Enfield model P14 and 1917 & mark IV Arisaka model 99 ,38 Mosin Nagant , Lebel ,Berthier,Ross ,Mannlicher model 1895 ,M95 , Krag, Berdan, ,Beaumont,Martini-Henry,Kropatschek,Carcano are some names I am sure I forgot more then I remembered.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good investment would be a copy of Ned Schwing's "Standard Catalog of Military Firearms".

Neal
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good website to get you started. Scroll down, check the left margin, click one, opens with pics and info.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by briguy
    what are the old bolt action millitary rifles called so I can look them up on gun broker?

Most (though not all) repeating military rifles manufactured between the 1890s and 1950s were bolt action designs.

The Mauser and Mosin-Nagant rifle variants would probably be the two designs manufactured in the greatest quantities, but as mentioned, there were **MANY** different makes and models made all over the world in that time frame.

If you can narrow down what you're looking for a little bit we can probably help you further.

Think about: country of origin, rough era or time frame of manufacture (eg WWII, etc), caliber, or any other design features you are interested in.

In GENERAL, older military bolt action rifles can represent good values for the money, depending on which model(s) you are considering and for what purpose. Most of the older centerfire military calibers also double nicely as hunting rounds.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    in general, curio & relics, sounds like hes looking for what they are classed as, not just a specific firearm.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redman.com1
    in general, curio & relics, sounds like hes looking for what they are classed as, not just a specific firearm.

A C&R is ANY firearm over 50 years old or one specifically on the list. C&R has nothing to do with only military arms, or only bolt action guns.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    listen to the question! thats all im saying. please dont respond cause i dont want to argue.