In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

musket shipped in one piece HELP

eogolposteogolpost Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
back in early august i was communicating with a very helpful expert. my musket shipped safely from New England by USPS and I have photos. Please contact me if u recall out discussion??

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Hi - I'm glad it arrived safely. I've never had a problem with USPS. What's up? Do you have pics now? This thread will show you how to post them:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    eogolposteogolpost Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    could i e-mail to you
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Re: Your original thread: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=469208

I received your pictures but they are too large to post here. However, here is a copy of my reply to you for the benefit of others:

I only opened three of the attachments as your files are huge (about 3mb each) and I have limited bandwidth (I hate Highesnet satellite internet!). However, I can see that it's a neglected US Model 1822 .69 caliber contract musket manufactured by Whitney Arms of New Haven, Ct. It's also referred to as a "US Model 1816 with 1822 improvements". It was originally made in flintlock ignition and converted to percussion later in life using the "cone" or "Belgian" method, possibly for Civil War use. There were 15,000 made by Whitney of this model (first contract) from 1826-1830 and another 24,000 from 1830-1841 (second contract).

I couldn't see the muzzle end so I don't know if it has the original ramrod and front sight or not. However, I can see that the stock has been broken through at the wrist and the metal has an overall coating of rust. I suggest you get some extra fine steel wool and a can of gun oil like Hoppe's. Soak the wool with oil and go over all of the metal parts and then wipe it down with a clean, soft cloth. Clean the stock with some Murphy's Oil Soap and then, after it dries, use some Liquid Gold to preserve the wood. If it were mine, I would completely disassemble it but don't try it if you don't know how.

I hope this information helps and feel free to write me anytime if you have any further questions.

Thanks for the pics. If you send any more, perhaps you can downsize them a bit.

Best,

Spider