In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rookie Needs Advice/Handgun Purchase

joebobbilljoebobbill Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering a Sig 2022 for $400 or a Ruger P95 for $300. Both new.

What's your advice?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the world of gun buying you generally get what you pay for. I would go with the Sig. Ruger does make good guns, but Sig's have a nicer fit and finish.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is to forget about the $100 difference in cost and buy whichever gun you like better.

Both are tough reliable guns that work great for recreational or defensive shooting. Either one could serve you well.

In making the decision, I'd consider which gun felt better in the hand (only you can decide that), which trigger pull you liked better, and which controls you liked better.

Edit: Agreeing with Laredo above, personally given that choice, I'd probably go with the SIG.

SIGs are a little more refined, generally having smoother actions and better resale value. In THIS case the polymer framed 2022 was never popular in the USA, which is why the model you're looking at only costs $400 when other new SIGs usually cost closer to $600.

But again, you really can't go wrong with either one. If you like the Ruger, get that one. Ruger autos aren't much to look at, but they're strong as bricks and highly reliable. For what its worth, I'm pretty sure that some small US military unit actually equipped with Ruger P95s at one point.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    might try going to a range and see if they have them to rent and try them both out. What I may like you may not and you have to decide which one you shoot the best as they will stay with you for years.
    Where I go they have guns to rent for 5 bucks and shoot it and return it and get the other on the same 5 bucks. The only thing you have to do is buy a box of ammo from them to shoot in it. Try it before you buy it is the best way
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had neither of those guns, but I had a Ruger P90 that was a real problem and have a Sig X6 that is one of the best made guns I have ever seen. Those were two very different price points though, so maybe the comparison isn't fair.

Ruger is a good brand that built it's name on the 10/22, MKII and revolvers in my opinion, not so much autoloaders.

Sig owners, like HK owners, seem to be almost fanatical about their autoloaders, so I would choose the Sig.