In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield Model 15 info? Mods help with pix ?

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I've inherited a really nice single shot bolt action .22 from my grandfather. I'd like to know the history, popularity, value, date of manufacture, whether or not it's a collectors item, etc. Whatever you can tell me, I'd like to know. I've been told that all old single shot .22's are collectors items, is this true? I don't see a serial number anywhere on this thing but I'm not sure where to look either. Again, any info is appreciated. Sorry for the huge pics, I'm not used to posting photos on here yet. Mods, if you can fix them, please feel free. And I know the scope looks terrible on this gun but it's what I had laying around and I'm a believer in function before style... [:)]

1001498x.jpg

1001497.jpg

1001505u.jpg

1001502c.jpg

1001504.jpg]

1001503e.jpg

1001501e.jpg

1001506h.jpg

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    springfield name was incorporated into the stevens/savage by 1948 worth about 125/150 tops
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a lot of fun with this type of Springfield .22...a lot!
    What's next?
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    The Model 15 was originally a Stevens. However both Stevens and Springfield were both owned/operated by the parent Savage Company at the time of the 15's MFG run.
    This model is actually one of the most common vintage .22 rifles there is. W/a continuous MFG run of 27 years (1937-1965). During the MFg run there were several upgrades. Mainly consisting of barrel length and stock changes.
    The rifle was conceived as the ultimate affordable "Boy 1st rifle" during an age when youngsters often helped put food on the table for the family. Very basic, easy to operate, and ACCURATE.
    There models marketed under all the Savage company names (Savage/Stevens/Springfield). Plus it was a common store brand gun. (Guns made for various dept/hardware stores under contract. And stamped w/Store brand name).
    Unfortunantly, due to HUGE numbers made, there is little to no collector value. These are commonly found for under $100. Even as low as $50. for a well used one. One in EX condition might bring $150.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! I always like to know a little of the history of what is in my safe. I'll definitely concur on the fun and accurate points! I shot some remington sub sonic out of this thing and shot groups that put my 10/22 to shame. I do believe I'll be taking a step back in time this year and taking this one to the woods with me to find some squirrels.

Based on the photos, would you say this is in above average condition compared to the others out there? Are these stamped with a serial number somewhere that would allow me to find a (close to) date of manufacture or was it definitely made in 1948?
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    midnightrunpaintballer,

They all did NOT have serial numbers on them. It was not required on rifles, until the 1968 Gun Control Act made it mandatory.

I have one of the "15A" rifles, and I love it. ...though, it is not as well-kept as yours is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigLoop22
    midnightrunpaintballer,

They all did NOT have serial numbers on them. It was not required on rifles, until the 1968 Gun Control Act made it mandatory.

I have one of the "15A" rifles, and I love it. ...though, it is not as well-kept as yours is.

15A? Care to expand on that? Were there different models? What were the differences between them? And how would I tell which one I have? Thanks!
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Model 15's made prior to 1948, had 22" barrels. After that the barrel was 24".
    Even if you had a serial number, it wouldn't do you any good. The Savage company was sold by the original owners in 1969. And the new owners dumped all previous records to protect themselves from liability on any firearm made prior to their control.
    It's easier to obtain such info on our defeated WW-2 foes weapons, who factories were bombed & burned, than it is a vintage Savage/Stevens.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    midnightrunpaintballer,

I cannot tell you specifically which model had which features. However, there were the "Model 15", the "15A", and the "15B". I think, originally, that the 15 was "youth-sized", and had a shorter stock, including a much shorter forend. I believe that there was NO buttplate on them. My "15A" is, essentially, a fullsize rifle, with an adult-sized length-of-pull, and long forend. My rifle has a buttplate. As near as I can tell, the "15B" is identicle to the "A" model. Through browsing auctions, I have seen one of the 15s with a very small cocking knob. Also, as has been stated by other forum members, these rifles were often renamed & renumbered, and sold by the other Savage divisions (Springfield/ Savage/ Stevens; sometimes, as "Savage- Stevens"). I think that I have also seen a few of these with fingergroove forends. ...and, the shape of the breechbolt knob is different, among the model changes: teardrop-shaped versus round.

Here is one Model 15 that has been enhanced, a little (sling swivels & globe front sight):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191507243

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

It appears to be a fullsize rifle, with NO buttplate, and a short forend. The bolt handle is teardrop-shaped.

Maybe, someone else can tell you more.