In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

winchester 101.................slugs

ninosninos Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I wanted some guidance regarding shooting slugs or buck shot with my Winchester 101 pigeon grade. It is a 20 gauge choked skeet and skeet. Firstly, is it suitable for this type of ammo and secondly what brand would you recommend?

Comments

• MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Suited? Not really, It will throw a rifled slug, but placement might be iffy with a bead sight. Buck shot should be fine.

With that set up brand probably won't matter as the error of your eye will be greater.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It won't likely shoot both barrels together with slugs.
    A friend of mine wanted to play safari with his SKB SxS and it would not have kept both barrels on an elephant.

You could get slug sights that clamp to the vent rib and load one barrel with a slug and the other with buck.
  • ninosninos Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be shooting out of a tree stand, maybe 30 yds..........

You guys are great, thanks for the help.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to sight it in. Each barrel will shoot to a different POI than another.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    You wont hurt the gun, and the slugs will hit real close to each other at 40 yards when fired from both barrels. After 40 yards, the top barrel will shoot low and the bottom barrel will shoot high.

If it were me, I would just sight it in as if it were a single barrel only using the bottom barrel. See where it hits at 25, 50 and 75 yards and only use the other barrel in desperation.

IMG_4274.jpg