In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94 Rapid Fire

alligator123alligator123 Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
They used to make a device that screwed to your lever that would make contact with the trigger as you closed the lever. In this way you could lever the action and fire without touching the trigger, kind of like the old series called the Rifleman. Does anyone know where I can get or build that device?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The Rifleman's 1892 Winchester was bascially just a screw with a locknut for rapid fire. He would back out the screw when rapid fire was not needed.

Riflemans_Rifle_Replica.jpg
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I believe the item you are referring to was available only for Daisy BB guns and was a "cup" that swiveled on the lever and caught the trigger as the "breech" was closed. Pretty sure it would have to be approved by the JBTs before you could (legally) install something like it, but I remember reading about a flapper with a hole in it set out in front of the muzzle, attached to the lever, that turned a lever action into a machine gun. Now that's some interesting reading!
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i had one as a kid..little flip up cup on the lever,,gun shot cartridges that had a spring loaded bullet and round stick on caps for noise[:p]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I believe the item you are referring to was available only for Daisy BB guns and was a "cup" that swiveled on the lever and caught the trigger as the "breech" was closed. Pretty sure it would have to be approved by the JBTs before you could (legally) install something like it, but I remember reading about a flapper with a hole in it set out in front of the muzzle, attached to the lever, that turned a lever action into a machine gun. Now that's some interesting reading!

Personally, I don't see the use for this particular gizmo, but I don't think you'd need approval of any gov't agency to install one into your rifle, if you wanted to do that.

Its against the law to create or modify a gun so that it fires MORE THAN ONE shot PER trigger pull.

In this case, you still only get one shot per trigger pull. In effect, all you're doing is using the lever to pull the trigger instead of your index finger.

I'm pretty sure that's legal just about everywhere, including in the rare jurisdictions that ban trigger-pull-rate enhancing devices for semi-automatic guns.
  • Options
    alligator123alligator123 Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. I think the screw through the lever is the easiest. Thanks
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a huge safety liability here. If that screw is turned in and you don't notice it when you lever in a round while at the range or out hunting, . . .
    Just saying. [xx(]
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    alligator123,

I know who owns the rifle that Spider posted a picture of. Here is a better shot of the trigger screw on one of his rifles:

IMG_0505.jpg

Here is where I got the photo from:

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/mikes_riflemans_rifles.htm

If safety is an issue, then ALWAYS remove the screw from the rifle, and put it in your pocket, BEFORE you let anyone handle your rifle. Having that screw in your lever means that you have to THINK about how you handle your rifle, every time your pick it up.[;)]
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This must be where the "spray and pray" concept originated.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Win94 is not particularly suited to rapid-fire cranking of the action, which can result in significant and rapid wear to certain parts that will give you headaches later, including one condition wherein you get cartridges from the magazine slipping out under the carrier. This will necessitate some level of dismantling of the gun to unjam it and will require a gunsmith with a good knowledge base and possibly expensive parts replacement to correct.