In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pentax Scopes

pikepole20pikepole20 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any experience with Pentax scopes and what type of quality would you rate them? I have a chance to pick one up on a trade and was wondering if it is a useful optic.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    How are the Pentax Whitetails unlimted rifle scopes? I had heard Burris makes them, any truth to this?? I got a brand new one (4x14x50) for $250.00, the price at many dealers on the net is in the $499 range.
    Thanks Andy

Andy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are pentax scopes made by Burris?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone have any experience with the pentax lightseeker 30 scopes? I am seriously considering one for my Winchester model 70 coyote in 300wsm. I am looking at the 4-16x50. Please no comments or reccomendations for leupold(overpriced and over rated), zeiss, swarovski, or any of the others. Any info will be appreciated.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone offer their opinion on Pentax scopes? A large sports business is selling a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40mm for 68.00. Sounds good if the scopes are any good.I always value your input. thanks dave
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 4-12X precision plex I got 5 years ago. Still going strong. It's on a Ruger 77/22 that I use for steel silhuote shoots. Lots of ammo has passed under it and the setting has never moved.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pentax makes different levels, some cheap and others in the $500.00 range. I suppose you'd have to know the model to make a judgement. I have a few and they are clear and rugged. I forget the exact link, but I believe Pentax makes lenses for another maker such as Burris or they make tubes for Pentax?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pentax is made by Burris, they are good scopes.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Pentax is made by Burris, they are good scopes.

+1

Pentax makes the glass, Burris makes the tubes.

Jon
  • Options
    huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a 4-12x40 gameseeker for well over a year now, mounted on my sporter Mexican mauser in 300 Savage. Decent glass in it, no complaints. Scope has endured over 60 rounds ammo and no problems.

Walked into a Sports Authority store with a 20% off coupon. Found scope had a reduced price and a sign on it take another 30% off. So, 30%off +20% off of reduced price plus tax, got scope for around $65.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They offer a Lightseeker that is a great scope.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own 2 of their cameras and ones over 30 years old and still works great I'm sure that their scopes are of the same quality.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Gameseeker 4-12x mounted on an Anschutz Woodchucker in 22 WMR. It is a combination that has accounted for a lot of game, of all sizes. The upper series, LightSeeker, I believe is based on the burris Signature series scope, which is in it's own right an excellent glass.

Best
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others has already noted, Pentax are nice scopes. I cannot remember the models but the ones I looked thorough some years ago had very clear glass, however, it does not meet the eye relief (IIRC, it was 3.0") that my eye sight or type of shooting/hunting needs (minimum of 3.5", esp. on high recoil rifles).

(C&P)

For years, Pentax has played hide and seek with where, and if, they list their riflescopes on the web. They've finally settled on http://www.pentaxlightseeker.com/, which may or may not be linked from their corporate page, at any given moment. Their Made-in-USA scopes have the same design features as Burris. They even look the similar... identical, even. OK, they are really just relabeled Burris scopes, which is not such a bad thing.

Their new Lightseeker II features Burris's Posi-Lock reticle locking system (Pentax calls it Perm-Align). Pentax touts its well-known Super Multi Coating system on all lenses. All of Burris' scopes are now fully multicoated. After several years of obvious rebranding, the Burris-built Pentax models are differentiating specs from the Burris models, but I'm not sure if a 42mm objective lens is really that different from a 44mm objective.