In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tru oil on a laminated stock?

the nitro manthe nitro man Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
i 'm refinishing an old savage 340 in 22 hornet. it was my papaws rifle that his dad gave him. that thing didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. the blue had rubbed thin & surface rust was starting to form on the barrel. the stock was the ugliest color i had ever seen on a gun (looked like one of the new cheap marlin stocks that had turned a very dark brown with no wood grain showing through). I stripped the stock & I've got seven coats of the tru oil on it. it looks amazing. I also reblued the barrel & everything else I could. it's far from the old ugly rifle I started with. I wanted to do this for papaw before he died, but it never happened. is there any way i can tell what year it was made?

My question is, can the tru oil be used on a black & gray laminated stock without hurting it. I have a 597 with a boyds black & gray laminated stock on it that looks pretty boreing, & was wondering what it would look like, or even if it would hurt it. anyone have a picture of this? can it be done or should i leave it alone?

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:My question is, can the tru oil be used on a black & gray laminated stock without hurting it.
    Sure it can.

I think Tru-Oil is a linseed oil mixture. Its designed specifically for gunstocks and works great on laminated stocks.

You're not going to hurt the stock by putting this on.

quote:
    I have a 597 with a boyds black & gray laminated stock on it that looks pretty boreing, & was wondering what it would look like, or even if it would hurt it. anyone have a picture of this? can it be done or should i leave it alone?

It will look basically the same as now, but with more depth and shininess. Again, Tru-oil won't hurt your laminated stock, though some individuals don't like the glossy appearance you get with Tru-oil.

That's subjective, obviously, and its perfectly fine to like a shiny finish on some guns but not others. Only you can decide what you like!

Note also that you can cut the gloss down and get a satin-like finish by rubbing with fine steel wool if you want, though.

Edit: These aren't my guns, but I pulled the images off the web. Both purportedly show laminated stocks with Tru-Oil finish.

They're not grey, obviously, but they should give you some idea what you might expect. I've done Tru-Oil on my own Boyd's laminated stock for my 10-22, and I like the way it looks.

rearstw.JPG

P1013267.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you for the pictures. someone clear coated the 597 stock before i got it. i think it will look great. i love the glossy finish that is on the savage stock i'm doing now has. it looks honestly better than most of my factory stocks.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the laminate stock is resin impregnated so you will get minimal soaking-in with the Tru-oil. Tru-oil is boiled linseed so it hardens on the stock instead of stayin tacky.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Book of Gun Values says the 340 was made from 1950-1958 if its the plain stock (no checkering)model. Probably has more sentimental value than $$ value. I bet it will look great when its all cleaned up and wood refinished.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mine doesn't have any checkering at all, so i would say 50-58. thanks for the info.

now that the stock is redone & the metal reblued, it's a nice looking rifle. i took it & showed it to granny (papaws wife) today & she couldn't beleave it was the same rifle. she didn't recognize it sence i did all that work to it & added a 3x9-40 scope on it. i bought the rings off ebay for $35.00. it's the aluminum type mount. i tried the sheet metal version , but it didn't have enough room between the mounts for the scope adjusters to fit between.

this thing was like a fat woman, fun to play with but you didn't want your buddies to see you with it. now it's totaly different. i'll try to post a picture in a couple of days.