In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel Length

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Ask the Experts
When measuring the length or a rifle barrel,do you include the chamber?

Thanks,Joyce

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    MY GRAND DAD GIVE ME A H AN R BOLT ACTION 22 HORNET ITS A REAL SMALL GUN WHAT IS THE LEGAL BARREL LENGTH . ITS NEVER BEEN MODIFIED IT WAS FACTORY WITH A LITTLE SUPPRESSOR ON THE END OF BARREL THE TOTAL LENGTH OF GUN IS 34 INCHES

DAVE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would most agree that there would be little difference in accuracy between a 16" and 18" barrel in a .308 rifle?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did the sunset of the "feel good" ban,are barrel lengths on AR's also relaxed,or is 16" still the minimun?
    thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what determines a barrel's length? from the muzzle to what ending point? my m99 savage 250 cal measures 24" from the muzz to the opening of the forward part of breech. does that make it a 24" barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the disadvantages of a 26" barrel vs. 28" barrel in a beretta xtrema used mainly for turkey, ducks/geese, and sporting clays?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where do you measure the length of the barrel from? Other than the obvious at the end. I have an L frame S & W, from lug to end is 3 1/2" but if you measure from right next to the cylinder then it's 4". Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a source that lists optimum barrel length by caliber? Obviously there are lots of variables powder, bullet weight ect.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've heard that a longer barrel makes accurate shooting easier. How true is this? Does it really depend more on the ammo and the shooter, or does that extra length make shots strike truer. I ask because I'm interested in a revolver and don't know if I want the 4" model or the 6" model.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks in advance,
    -JB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recently posted a thread under the General Discussion "Bushmaster or Rock River". I have decided from the response and some research to order an A3 Bushmaster. Now the question remains what barrel length?
    Is there any real difference in accuracy between the 16" or the 20" barrels out to 300 yds[?]

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking to add some length to a AMD barrel any one have some ,name, numbers ,links, any info where I can find some EXT for a barrel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of barrel lenght of a shot- gun lets say the same choke 28" barrel vs 30" barrel???
    Thanks
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reloading manuals give bullet loads based on makes tested including barrel lenghts.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a pretty interesting site as far as velocities go.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you can get to a point of diminishing returns, in general longer is better.

When the .243 was new on the market, one writer chambered a custom gun for it. He said he didn't know what a factory length gun would do and he was not going to ruin his 31" barrel to find out.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This forum is most likely the best source for ANY of that information. There are several wildcatter/cartridge designers on here that will tell you the best barrel length per caliber cartridge case size. I'm talking about folks who do it for a living, and not a hobby.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slower powders may affect barrel length over factory loads but Ballistics by the inch gives a good estimate.
    In catalogs of old black powder rifles, companies like Sharps gave options of some pretty long barrels at extra cost.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Optimum - Ever have to go into thick brush after a critter?

For a shotgun after about 16" the powder is burnt.

I suggest you shoot over a flat patch of new fallen snow to see how much un-burnt gunpowder can be broadcast down range by the way over bore capacity cartridges.

The additional velocity from a longer barrel and a larger case is the tradeoff to handiness and barrel life.