In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hirtenburg 7.62x51

JUSTADUDE2154821JUSTADUDE2154821 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
Failure to extract , ripping rim off brass 1975 surplus
using a AR-10 piston P.O.F new firearm. no problem with any other brand

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it actually say "hirtenburg", it's a knock off; the real stuff from Austria is "Hirtenberger".

Is the ammo in plastic battle packs? Did you buy it from a retailer, or second hand? Could it have been exposed to a chemical that would weaken the brass, like ammonia?

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was bought from a retailer and was packaged and sealed in plastic.You are correct it was advertised as hirtenberger
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUSTADUDE2154821,

Hirtenberger 7.62x51 Surplus Ammunition is made in Austria and is renowned for being extremely hot in several major runs of this type. I will admit that running this ammo in a gas gun would be my last choice since what you observe is known and shared throughout the shooting community. Price should not always be the great discriminator until your research the quality of the ammunition.

Best.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad lots of ammo get out, even from quality manufacturers.

Years ago I bought a bunch of Norma factory 5.56 X 45. It consistently blew the primers, when I shot it in my AR 180. Almost like it had been loaded with small pistol primers, not small rifle primers.

Since I got it at a discount at a gun show. Wasn't totally surprised.

Get rid of the Hirtenberger. Before it damages your AR, and you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to both of you, I had the same advice from another person
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you shot any of it in a bolt action? If your gun is over gassed it may have a little to much power in the operating system and rip the rims off before pressure has dropped.