In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Erma .22

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about buying a Erma .22 just for the simple fact they kind of look like the P 08 German Luger. What I need are some pros and cons from you guys and also kind of confused about the models LA 22, EP 22 and KGP 22. Were there any models better or worse than others as they all look alike to me. Any info is always appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are pot metal, might be ok just to look at.

added I have a stainless bull barrel Mark II. It took some work to get it to function reliably but it always was accurate. The Hi Standard HD Military I have is by far the most accurate 22 autoloader I have ever shot. Browning Buck Mark's are ok too, so are the older 41 S&W.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree pot metal Parts are nearly impossible to get but Nice to look at item NOT A SHOOTER IMHO
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had several and functioning was a problem. Nice toy if you don't use it much.
    Had the best luck with the Stoegar model as far as functioning.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    Have had several and functioning was a problem. Nice toy if you don't use it much.
    Had the best luck with the Stoegar model as far as functioning.

+1, on the Stoeger. Had one for years, with very little in the way of problems.

My experience with the first generation Erma's, (LA 22), was bad. Both had Zamak, ( Zinc diecast), parts that broke. Whoever designed them had their head up their butts. Parts subject to impact and abrasion, should be made out of steel. Not potmetal.

No personal experience with the later KGP Erma's. But I would still go with a Stoeger, rather than any Erma.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one at Naugle's in San Antonio, Texas. It was in a red plastic box, owner's instructions included and an extra mag came with it too. Price was right and I like Luger looking pistols. It was in like new condition, so I never fired it and kept it as a collectible - hahaha. The only use that ever came of it was when my gunsmith friend Steve Cline needed to make replacement parts for a customer's Erma 22 pistol; and I said he could disassemble mine and determine what parts the customer's needed and what they looked like so he could make replacements. Otherwise, I always used my Ruger 22LR Mk I/II pistol for target shooting and same game with complete assurance of accuracy and no malfunctions.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    If it ever breaks, you'll likely never find parts. I seen countless gun forum posts of people trying in vain to find parts.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    If it ever breaks, you'll likely never find parts. I seen countless gun forum posts of people trying in vain to find parts.

When my Erma's broke. I was lucky enough to find out about Bob's Gun Parts, in Royal Arkansas. He had the parts I needed. This was a number of years ago. So don't know, if has any left?
  • Options
    338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got my answer and I think I'll go with a ruger mark I or one of the colt semi .22's. I just liked the Luger look of the Erma's but don't want the pot metal problems thanks to all who replied.