In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 14

freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
There is a S&W model 14 on gunbroker that is listed as rare because it is single action only.Did S&W actually manfacture a model like this? And is it rare? Or was this changed to S.A. only? I have seen a part number for a S&W single action hammer. JUST CURIOUS.I'm sort of interested.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a chance to buy a S&W Model 14, DOM late 60's(?). Regular hammer and trigger, 6" bbl. Serial# K-2090xx. Is this a K-38 Masterpiece? Is this what is known as a 5 screw? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a great deal on a S&W Model 14 for use in some of my local law enforcement shooting competitions. The problem is, until now, I've owned nothing but semi-autos and I have no idea how to disassemble, adjust, maintain, etc. a revolver. Does anyone know where I can find info about this gun and possible resources for how to take care of it?
    I'm very happy with this gun so far for PPC type shooting and I hope to use it for a very long time. I want to take the best possible care of it. Thanks in advance for you help
    Jeff
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This forum thread may help:
    smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/136787-informal-pictorial-essay-k-38-masterpiece-model-14-variations.html
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Krony
    This forum thread may help:
    smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/136787-informal-pictorial-essay-k-38-masterpiece-model-14-variations.html

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prior to 1957, when S & W started identifying their revolvers by Model Numbers. It would have been known as the, K -38, Target Masterpiece. After 1957, just Model 14, K 38, became more common.

The 5 screw Smiths, also ceased production during the same time frame. First going to 4 screws for awhile. Then the much more common 3 screws. Which yours is, if it dates to the late 60's.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one you are considering was made in 1965.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The side plate with the grip removed, has 4 screws and the front of the trigger guard has a screw. I am told that this makes this a 5 screw S%W ?? Your attention to these questions are much appreciated.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freddbear4
    The side plate with the grip removed, has 4 screws and the front of the trigger guard has a screw. I am told that this makes this a 5 screw S%W ?? Your attention to these questions are much appreciated.

Per SCSW, SN # K-2090xx, was made in 1953. It is, a 5 screw! Years before Smith, started marking their revolvers with model numbers.

The 50's were the high point of quality, as far as K-38's were concerned. Much sought after by collectors. If factory original, and in at least VG+ condition? Worth a premium, over later production Model 14's.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be a wonderful shooter. Even the early 3 screw I bought dad was a tack driver. Yes back then fitted/assembled by craftsmen that took pride in their work.